Chipped glass turned to crack, also very sharp

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ultravorx, Jun 28, 2010.

1. ultravorx macrumors member

So, while waiting for the new otterbox to come out for the ip4 ive been using the phone naked, being extra careful not to drop it or mess up the glass. Well, while i was walking my dog, my in ip4 popped out of my belt case, and hit the ground.:eek:

Luckily, when i picked it up, it was not cracked!! It did have a small pit on the top corner of the glass which was odd! Through out the day, i noticed small cracks propagating from the pit. By the end of the day, it had formed 3 small cracks!!! It looks like we can experience cracks in just from pressure, not even from an initial drop.

The other issue is on the other side where the glass chipped, its really sharp!! I almost cut myself on it, apparently when it chips, it leaves very sharp edges, so make sure your carful when you hold a chipped/cracked iphone 4!!!

Hopefully none of you guys will have to deal with this, but its just a heads up!!

Frank

Attached Files:

2. stphnman20 macrumors regular

At least it didn't completely shatter the glass... :apple:

3. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

If you take it to an Apple store they might replace it for $199. I would try to do that.

It is only going to get worse.

4. og1 macrumors regular

the cracks were likely there after the initlal impact. throughout the course fo the day, the glass heated up and cooled thus expanded and contracted, making the cracks more visible. either way, bummer for you.

5. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Eep! Careful of those sharp edges.

I suppose it's no different then having a chip in a windshield, though. Those chips can eventually crack, too.

6. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Sorry about your misfortune. This is a very easy phone to drop, and I'm very careful. Unfortunately this phone is designed with style over substance. A modern product with no provision for easy replacement of damaged parts. I'm not faulting Apple, as it's a well known practice of theirs. Like captive batteries. So in this instance, if we drop our phones, their totalled.

7. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

8. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

Wow, I didn't realize that every other phone on the market couldn't 1) break apart when dropped and 2) had easily replaceable panels so whichever part that broke you could easily replace for cheap.

I'll also throw in that I had no idea that hard broken plastic couldn't cut someone either.

I'll give you captive batteries though. But to Apple's credit they replace those for cheap if still under warranty.

9. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

http://www.mobileshop.com/blog/mobile-phone-blogs/the-jcb-tough-phone-harder-than-the-average-phone/
    :p

10. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

If you didn't know that then you need to get up to speed. I'm one who believed apple when they said this glass was stronger. Hopefully I don't run into any issues.

11. BConvery macrumors regular

Depending how sharp it it, you may want to get a Dremel and grind away the sharp edge. It's already dinged up, you may as well not cut yourself too.

12. c2006 macrumors member

My friend has one of those. They're awesome. I submerged it in a full glass of beer and then threw it against a concrete wall as hard as I could. Still worked.

We actually developed a drinking game on that phone: You use your phone to call the tough phone, drop the tough phone in the cup of beer, chug the beer and then answer the tough phone before it hits voicemail. It's a lot of fun.

13. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

Um, it IS stronger. Others have dropped their phones and have had little to no damage. Apple has NEVER said it's unbreakable.

I think people on these forums need to come back to reality a little bit.

14. bholaladka macrumors regular

might wanna a see a lawyer. may be you have a hot coffee case. You can say apple didn't say "glass may be sharp" on the iphone

15. ultravorx thread starter macrumors member

That would be nice, but I can't see me winning something like that for my own stupidity, lol.

Frank

16. violaguy5 macrumors member

maybe you can just buy a replacement back online, I hear they are easy to replace with just removing 2 screws

17. Dsking85 macrumors member

Put an adhesive screen on it such as bestskinsever or zagg or something to keep it from spreading easily. I suggest bestskinsever since they are much cheaper

18. ultravorx thread starter macrumors member

I thought i read that you have to remove the guts of the phone to replace the back glass? If its taht easy, i may just swap it out!

19. rmwhite macrumors member

Back glass is off with two screws and a little upward pressure, even revealing the battery. I'm not sure if there's even a method for them to void your warranty by removing/replacing the back glass.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The more I see these types of threads and how delicate the iPhone is, the more concerned I'm getting. I have one on order for my wife and to be honest, I'm worried that apple selected form over function, to the point where its too delicate.

21. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Sucks OP, sorry about that. Kind of surprised how many people are dropping their Iphones. I carry this thing like it's my child. Never dropped an Iphone.

22. AAPLGeek macrumors regular

This sucks! :mad:

Its pretty crazy that so many users are reporting cracked glasses so soon; why the F did they have to use such a brittle glass on a freakin phone!! :mad:

A steel rim like the on the 1st gen iPod Touch would've been a much better option than a piece of thin plastic around the glass.

Anyway, as other suggested, you can put a skin on it temporarily and buy a replacement back cover online once its available. Its pretty easily to replace.