Chipped paint on glowing black keys

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gofightlose, Jul 29, 2011.

  1. gofightlose macrumors member


    Feb 1, 2011
    I'm the type of person who really takes care of their property. I clean my mbp weekly and try hard not to scratch or welcome any imperfections to this beautiful hardware. But I have this friend, who has always managed to ruin everything in my life. I allow her 5 minutes on my $2000 computer, and she throws her phone on the keyboard. But no big deal, no visible damage, that is until you turn the backlights on and my F key is now one big shining imperfection and it's distracting. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to 'fix' this. I thought about using a permanent marker to fill in the chipped area, maybe acrylic paint? I also saw a few websites offering individual keys that I could replace.

    Am I being too anal, or do other people care about this stuff as much as I do?
  2. theLimit macrumors 6502a


    Jan 30, 2007
    up tha holler, acrost tha crick
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

    Take your computer and your friend into an Apple Store and have her pay for a keyboard or top case replacement. That might help her learn to be a little more respectful of other people's property.
  3. Synergie macrumors 6502a

    Jan 15, 2011
    Halifax, Canada
    It's about 8.95 online to order replacement key caps for the MBP keyboard (8.95 for one key). I just did a quick Google. And you can easily find online how to replace them yourself.
  4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

    Mar 31, 2011
    Tallahassee, Florida
    If the store isn't too far, I'd have her pay for a new keyboard if it means that much. And if she did it and was wrong for it.

    If you guys are close friends or something though, have her give you the money for a replacement key.
  5. dave12345 macrumors regular

    Oct 19, 2008
    if the machine is under warranty just take it in to apple and get the cap replaced - I've done it a couple of times with no problems
  6. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

    Jun 19, 2011
    I would take it into apple and explain. Ask them to just replace the F key. If they want to do a whole lower case replacement just buy the key off ebay and replace it yourself.

    There are 2 types of scissor mechanisms with mbp keys and you would need to make sure you buy the right 1. Look for guides on the internet.

Share This Page