Chips/damage from wrist jewelry

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stubaan, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Stubaan macrumors newbie

Hi folks

I have inadvertently scraped and chipped the edge of my MacBook Pro wearing a metal bangle while I work, and now find it is quite abrasive on my palm. See picture attached.

I have done a lot of research on this, but have yet to find a satisfactory solution:

1. Palm rests I've found online don't appear to reach all the way to the very edge, which defeats the objective of smoothing over the chips. If there is one that does indeed reach the edge, and I wonder how long it would be before the palm rest started to peel up where it doesn't fully bond on the chips.

2. The suggestion to file it down seems reasonable, but I'm understandably wary of this.

3. The hard MBP cases from Speck seem like they might be an option, but I see a lot of critical reviews.

Anyone got any suggestions for somehow smoothing this down, or covering over the chips?

Attached Files:

• MBP.JPG
      MBP.JPG
      File size:
      528.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

A palm wrest cover may resolve that. A traditional Speck snap on case only comes up to the edge of the machine and wouldn't protect it much at all!

3. Stubaan thread starter macrumors newbie

Any personal experience?

Thanks - I guess I'll give 'em a try.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am not sure if Speck makes a plastic palm wrest cover but in my experience they damage the screen!

5. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

You could just try a piece of electrical tape along the bottom and down the side if you don't mind the look

6. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

There are thick tapes designed to protect the front of cars that might be adapted to cover and still look ok. Check an auto parts store.

8. abta1 macrumors 6502

Some sort of thick tape sounds like the easiest and least expensive solution. Given the right colour and amount, it might not spoil the aesthetics that much either.

9. iRadio macrumors newbie

I wouldn't go with tape, in that area with your arm/wrist constantly rubbing across it, it'll peel/curl and just leave a yucky sticky goo on your laptop.