Chirping MBP (2008) and iMac (2011)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LTFKNW8, May 12, 2011.

1. LTFKNW8 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone - have a problem that hopefully someone knowledgeable here can help with. I performed a search and didn't come across any useful results, so here goes:

I bought a refurb early 2008 MBP that I've owned for over 2 yrs, and for the last year or so, it has been making a chirping sound. Its definitely coming through the speakers (not hard drive clicking), since it varies with volume and I can hear it in my head phones when they are plugged into the head jack. The noise is a double chirp that occurs periodically - I have not been able to figure out what activities in particular cause it. I figured all hardware gets old, and while its annoying, it wasn't worth my energy to try to track down what the problem was.

The really interesting thing is that I just got a new iMac (2011), and I transferred all of my apps/documents to this new computer from the time machine backup of my MBP. Now the iMac does the double chirp as well!

Any ideas what it might be? Given that it was transferable by restoring from a backup, I doubt it's a hardware problem - that's why I posted this question here rather than in one of the hardware forums.

Thanks in advance

H

2. superfula macrumors 6502

Do you have iPulse installed? There is an option for it to make a sound every hour on the hour.

3. LTFKNW8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, I don't use iPulse. I should also mention, both computers are running up-to-date copies of snow leopard.

H

4. superfula macrumors 6502

How about Weatherbug?

I've come across some flash ads that make noises as well.

5. LTFKNW8 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. kenchie macrumors newbie

kenchie

I have the same problem on my new iMac 27". It seems to be temperature related, if I turn the fan speeds up using smcFanControl it goes away.

7. LTFKNW8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am embarrassed to admit that my problem was in fact software related. It was the stupid MS Outlook sound for 'no new mail' that I'd been hearing all that time. I simply turned off that alarm, and problem solved!