chmod a folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maximus06, Nov 26, 2007.

1. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Riddle me this;

Why do you need to chmod a folder?

and

Which folder are you unable to chmod?

2. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    When you're in terminal, if you simply type "man xxx" where xxx = the name of the function, it'll bring up the manpage (aka "manual page") for that function/program/etc., generally explain it's function and give you an exhaustive list of all possible switches (that is, parameter modifiers). Type a single "q" to quit and be returned to the command prompt.

Generally, with chmod, you are either going to add or subtract privs on the file or folder in question. Let's pretend the folder in question is called "whoopie", and it's sitting in your Documents folder. Your best bet would be to navigate to the folder first, then mess with it.

In Linux (which is applicable here) they use the shortcut "~/" to mean your own home directory's root level. So, if you typed "cd ~/Desktop" and pressed return, you'd be sitting on your desktop. Then, assuming the folder in question was located there, you could just do the following:

chmod +rwxrwxrwx whoopie

However, before you go screwing around with CHMOD or any other terminal-based utility, you really should be asking yourself why this folder would have incorrect permissions set. You might do just as well to open up Disk Utility and have it do a general disk permission repair first, then try to futz with the folder and see what happens.

3. maximus06 thread starter macrumors regular

Guys, I did say "nvm". Which either means I realized the stupiduty of my own question or managed to solve my problem through various stupid trials worthy of nub-recognition. Thanks though.