chmod Correct Syntax to add sticky bit "t" to root of drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Quad5Ny, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Recently the root of my boot drive had its owner changed to "staff" causing my system boot times to be around 2 min long instead of 30 seconds.

I fixed that by going into Terminal and typing "sudo chown root:admin /". Everything is back to normal, except the permissions on the root are now drwxrwxr-x instead of drwxrwxr-t.
    ("Can’t create kext cache under / - owner not root" - was the warning incase someone comes across this and wants to know how to fix it.)

I'm just wondering what the proper chmod syntax is to change the execute/search bit back to the sticky bit, As I'm afraid to type something wrong. =)

And what would be the proper way to clear out all my log files?(Clear, not delete).

-Thanks, Quad

P.S. Im on 10.6.2

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

chmod +t directoryname

3. Quad5Ny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

5. Quad5Ny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

I have my main boot drive offline to make a backup with SuperDuper and was thinking about clearing all my logs before the backup just so everything is nice and clean if I ever restore the backup.

There are 3 main log folders that I know of:
    /private/Var/Log/
    /Library/Logs/
    /Users/UserNameHere/Library/Logs/

Since the drive is offline I can clear them using "> LogNameHere.log" in Terminal.

But I don't know if that will cause any problems when I boot back up.
    :rolleyes:

EDIT: Nevermind, I'll just leave them. But thanks again for responding before.