Chocolate milk MacBook, help needed!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iMax Power, Nov 13, 2007.

1. iMax Power macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I screwed up. I spilled chocolate milk on my MackBook. It wasn't very much but enough to turn it off. I took the battery off and let it dry for a couple of days. Now it boots, I didn't check if everything is actually working, I didn't want to warm it up. Now I guess it's necessary to open it and clean it. The point is: do you suggest me to take to an Apple Store or to do it on my own? I guess this is not covered by warranty...and I've been told that when they know what happened they will void my warranty for the future.

I'm eager of advice!

2. soba-dude macrumors newbie

Ouch!

I did something similar, I had spilled liquid on my 2 month old macbook pro keyboard and different keys would not work.

I took my mbp into the apple store and confessed my sin and was told that my warranty was voided due to liquid spill. I left my mbp with the apple store for repair, the initial quote was $500-$1500 for repair. I picked up my mbp about 5 days later and it cost me ~$1500 for a new keyboard, logicboard, top cover etc.

I asked if my warranty was back in effect and I was told Yes.

Stupid and expensive mistake on my part,.

3. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

The protein and sugar in chocolate milk will really kill about any technology it is spilled on. I've seen a macbook with a similar spill and it cost a few hundred dollars to fix.

4. California macrumors 68040

California

I would flush it with distilled water and leave it in a position to drain properly for another couple of days. Actually, I would also take off the bottom casing, keyboard and trackpad and flush it with distilled water and let it dry. Bet it works again just fine, just don't let the water accumulate inside.

5. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I'm not so sure about that, the thing about sugar milk is the stuff polymerizes and is pretty tough to remove without a better solvent.

6. iMax Power thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know, I think that ultimately I will take it to the Apple Store for a quote...(is it free to have a quote?).

7. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

This is a lesson: don't eat or drink near a laptop. :apple:

8. admiraldennis macrumors regular

Do not do this unless you want your warrantee voided.

9. iMax Power thread starter macrumors newbie

But if I open it...wouldn't it be voided anyway?

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

not if you are careful.

11. tronic72 macrumors regular

My 2c

Having run an Apple store for over 7 years, it's been my experience that the damage is usually permanent and instant and if there are currently no issues the machine won't deteriorate any further. I assume this is because once the liquid has dried, whether it be milk or coke etc, it no longer conducts electricity.

I concur with some of the other posters in that as a dealer, the first thing we do is open the case and move all traces of the liquid. Usually the only way to do this is to remove the parts. Items such as cases may be cleaned but most electronic components require replacement.

Milk is probably the best thing to spill on your Mac (if you are silly enough to drink near it) because it doesn't conduct electricity (like water) or have any corrosive characteristics (like cola).

Hope this helps.

12. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

If you take in for a repair without fessing up to the spill when they open it and find thick with sticky sugery goo they will just say it has had a liquid spin on it and the warrenty will be void anyway.

13. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Yup that is true, and they will take pictures and log the damage.

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

:confused:

and if you read my post again, you won't infer that I suggested taking it into the store :rolleyes:.