Choice between a base and upgraded 13'' mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eta90, Jul 25, 2010.

  1. eta90 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2010
    #1
    I am trying to decide between a 13'' 2.4 and 2.66GHz mbp. Not that it matters, but this will be my first mac. I will be using this for school and leisure, IE heavy multitasking with web surfing, word processing, powerpointing, email, watching videos, itunes etc. I initially was thinking the 2.4 model, but most friends are recommending the 2.66, based on my telling them I tend to have multiple programs and web windows open at once. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

    PS, Since i use an external HD, HDD space is not an issue.
     
  2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

    iBookG4user

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #2
    Personally I'd go for the 2.4GHz model and use the money you saved to buy a SSD. You'll see a much bigger speed increase from the SSD than you will from a slightly faster processor.
     
  3. spinnerlys Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #3
    The 2.4GHz model will suffice, and if 4GB RAM do not suffice, you can always upgrade to 6 or 8GB RAM at a later date.

    I do what you do with my iMac from 2007 with 2GHz and 4GB RAM and it runs like a charm most of the time.
     
  4. tigress666 macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2010
    Location:
    Washington State
    #4
    Or more ram cause that will have more effect on running a lot of programs at once. Though I'm not the expert and not sure if you really need a lot more than 4 gigs or not.
     
  5. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #5
    Definitely base model. The faster processor won't make a difference with what you listed, as those are not CPU intense tasks. Multitasking just uses more RAM, and the 4 gigs that it comes with should be plenty for you.
     
  6. aeboi macrumors 65816

    aeboi

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2009
    Location:
    Bay Area
  7. TZRaceR6 Guest

    TZRaceR6

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2010
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #7
    I have the 2.66 and if I hadn't gotten it for a killer deal, would have gone with the 2.4. I also have the 6GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD. I think saving the $$$ on the slight increase in processing power in favor of more RAM and an SSD is what you may want to look at doing.
     
  8. cys920622 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2010
    #8
    Base model. Upper model is likely not worth the extra money for such little extra processing power.
     
  9. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

    mgartner0622

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2010
    Location:
    Colorado, USA
    #9
    Hello-

    Well if you're like me and worry about the newer models coming out, i'd go for the 2.66.

    On the last MBP revision I bought the upgraded 2.53GHz VS the 2.26.

    Compared to the MacBook Pro's out right now, I have a mid grade model :)
    If I had bought the 2.26 with the smaller hard drive and less RAM I would be kicking myself right now, as 250GB is barley enough for me, and the 2GB of ram that the lesser one came with was just wimpy!

    If you have the budget for purchasing the extra model, and want to still feel like you have a new model when they refresh a year or so from now, i'd go for the 2.66. If you're trying to save some money, go for the cheaper one, you're not missing much.
     
  10. iBookG4user macrumors 604

    iBookG4user

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #10
    The base model will be a heck of a lot faster than the 2.66GHz model, if you put a SSD in the base model ;)
     
  11. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

    mgartner0622

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2010
    Location:
    Colorado, USA
    #11
    That is true, and the OP said that space was not an issue because of an external HDD, so, OP, the base model and an SSD for near the same price might be the better, faster, and quieter option. This is especially good because the RAM amount is the same on both models so you're not missing much there, aside from a minimal processor speed decrease, the lower end MacBook with an SSD would really work well. You'd (OP) have faster boot times, faster program launch times and maybe even better battery life depending on the SSD.
     
  12. vant macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2009
    #12
    Since when is a .26GHz increase and a minor bump in HD worth $300?

    Wasted money. You don't have a 'mid-grade' model. You have a previous model. 2010s have a 320M which is the main deal. If you saved that $300 for the next gen model, that'd be a better choice.

    Example:
    Buy 2009 MBP13 low-end for $1200 (compared to $1500).
    Sell 2009 MBP13 in 2010 for $900.
    Buy 2010 MBP13 low-end for $1200.
     
  13. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2010
    #13
    I have the base model and it is quite fast! The price difference if definetly NOT worth it.
     
  14. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

    mgartner0622

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2010
    Location:
    Colorado, USA
    #14
    Very true.
    I do wish I had the 320M, but i'm definetly glad I spent the extra money and got the bigger hard drive and more memory, IMO it was worth it.

    With the new one not having very much of a hard drive size increase, the sam rame and graphcs card, the lower grade might be more worth it, especially if the OP got an SSD with the extra money they saved.

    I don't know about everyone on MacRumors Forums, but I tend to keep my computers for anywhere from 3-6 years. Paying the extra for the bigger hard drive and faster processor was worth it to me, just so I would be a little more "futureproof" was worth it.

    If I planned on upgrading on the refresh, I would do exactly as you say, and buy the lower grade model, sell it, and then buy another lower grade on the refresh. However, as I don't do that, my solution works fine for me.

    OP, you might want to take this into consideration. If you're planning on keeping your computer for 4 years, the upper model might be better for you, but if you want to keep it for a year, sell it and upgrade, then the lower one might be better.

    All in all it really depends on what you want to do with it, how much you want to spend, and how long you are willing to keep the computer, as the upper models do not really have a higher resale value a year down the road if you wanted to upgrade.
     
  15. eta90 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2010
  16. tigress666 macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2010
    Location:
    Washington State
    #16
    You do realize he can custom order it and get the lower end model with a bigger hard drive and more RAM? You do not have to order the bigger model to get that. Those configurations are just the base model and if you order it from Apple you can get a different hard drive or add more RAM.
     
  17. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

    DeepIn2U

    Joined:
    May 30, 2002
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    #17
    Base Model. The P8600 C2D chip is the same one I have in my Late 2008/Early 2009 Aluminum MacBook.

    Safari: Stream 7min youtube music video, 4 tabs of howardforums & Macrumors mixed, forum spy from this site loading for 4mins, gmail - which also auto updates on new email (send/receive; sending form BB/iPhone).
    Ableton Live 8.013; Beats playing with selection of MIDI tracks and WAVE. I'm still learning so no efficiency in what I'm doing/selecting/browsing/heavy use just yet.

    All the above it simultaneously pretty much ever other day or daily. Also add iChat/MSN Messenger doesn't slow the MacBook down at all. 4GB RAM 320GB HDD @ 5400RPM. I ONLY see beach ball when I initially launch iChat with all above going ... or due to Safari about to crash due to flash; hmm Flash & Crash rhyme.

    Get 8GB of RAM and you'll fly with all your work going. Resale value will hold steady (about 200 - 400 tops after newer 13" MBP with better than NVidia 320M debuts - if they do next October/April 2011). IF you need more power after you buy the 13"MBP_320M then you have 6-10mths plus to save about $400US for a 250Gb/300Gb SSD which boost performance by about 5x. Spending $1700 for a 15" MBP with Core i5 now and you'll kick yourself when the newer ULV Core i5 debuts with better power consumption with same power for more battery life at same or slightly cheaper costs. Or if AMD gets hallowed in a Mac.
     
  18. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

    mgartner0622

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2010
    Location:
    Colorado, USA
    #18
    Very true, but with my old PowerBook G4 12" that was a CTO model, I always had issues whenever I took it into the genuis bar.
    When the hard drive failed, they had to order it and it took almost two weeks, vs the stock model where they usually have it in store, and can fix it that day. It's the same with memory.
     
  19. vant macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2009
    #19
    You don't have to CTO. In fact it is smarter to go aftermarket. By going aftermarket you have so many choices for HD. SSD, 7200RPM, 640GB, anything!

    Aftermarket:
    $1200 MBP13
    +$220ish for 2x4GB (8GB) RAM if 4GB isn't enough for you
    +$45 for a 320GB 5400RPM drive and you keep the old one as a backup
    Total=$1465

    CTO:
    $1200 MBP13
    +$400 2x4GB (8GB) RAM upgrade (and you don't get the 2x2GB sticks)
    +$50 for a 320GB 5400RPM drive (and you don't get the 250GB drive)
    Total=$1650
     
  20. elleana macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2009
    #20
    Haven't read any of the replies, but the answer is BASE.
     
  21. Macfr3d macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    #21
    Get the base MBP 13" it is faster than you'll ever need. I recommend sticking
    in 4GB of mem so you can have (alot) of programs open at once without
    reducing responsiveness. There is no point to get the faster model except
    for wanting it. If you have money to burn I'd rather buy an external monitor
    to go with your mbp for when you use it at home.
     
  22. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

    TheBritishBloke

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2009
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #22
    +1 for base then aftermarket ssd with the 300$ you saved.
     

Share This Page