Choice between Air & iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FML, May 1, 2011.

1. FML macrumors newbie

I'm going to a university this year and I've saved up some money to buy either base model Air or iMac.
    I'm going to receive a ipad2 from ma uncle and I was wondering if buying the imac was worth it bc its better performance.
    Would it be alright if I take the ipad to classes and work in the iMac?
    What I do in the computer are gaming, news, youtube, and music

2. emaja macrumors 68000

It really is a simple choice. Ask yourself "Do I need portability?"

3. iLucas macrumors 6502

Gaming would be better on the iMac. If you're going to use the iPad for classes i'd recommend a case with a keyboard, it'll make taking notes much easier.

4. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

I say air but I'm crazy over mine. It allows me to take all my stuff everywhere I go, and it's light weight. If I want to play games or need a big screen for computer drafting, I just use an external monitor.

I was in engineering school so we done a lot of group work at school. The air allow me to take all my work plus software needed for school. Yes, you can use dropbox for files but not programs.

For me, portability was a must. However, your needs may be different than mine. Your asked for opinions, so I vote for the air.

5. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I have a 08 iMac and a new MBA. I use my MBA 95% of the time. Having a iPad and MBA seems more odd then a iPad and iMac. Since you are getting a free ipad I would consider pairing it with the iMac. My 2nd choice would be the Ipad+MBA+24" Dell display. Again this is just personal preference and it is really what you want :D

6. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Are you going to be able to take your iMac with you? :d

7. FML thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I think I'll stick with ur choice - ipad&imac