Choice between MBP or MB and 40" LCD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ancl12ew, Apr 11, 2009.

1. ancl12ew macrumors newbie

I'm trying to decide between a MBP or a MB and 40" Samsung 5 Series LCD. I can get a brand new MBP through Apple's Employee Discount for $1900, and a MB and the TV for my room for around through my work for around $2100. I don't wanna go with one and regret the other. Im going to be doing mostly internet browsing, chatting, downloading, using it for school. But I always watch TV streams on jtv and other sites. Which one would you go with? Oh, and I'm gonna wait til after WWDC just in case any of the MB's get a refresh.

2. aleni macrumors 68000

looking at things you are doing, the MB will be just fine. but the MBP screen is much nicer. if you r going for the MB, don't let your eyes ever to take a look at the MBP screen, or it will make you regret for not having the MBP.

3. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

+1.

I know you didn't mention games, but I hook up my MacBook Pro to my TV and play Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 on it with two PS2 controllers. It's really one of the only games I play (save from buying a PS3!) and the dedicated GPU in the MacBook Pro runs games really well on medium to high settings.

If performance is something that isn't an issue, then you could also consider the MacBook Air, solely because of the screen.

4. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

And the portabillity aspect. The thing is it might cost too much for you to get a TV aswell.

5. aleni macrumors 68000

the macbook air's screen quality is as good as the mbp. But i think u better stick with MB. MB's weight is not that much but you get yourself a higher cpu, a 4gb of ram upgradable and the non-underclocked nvidia 9400M which is quite important to run on external LCD TV.

6. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

That's true. Go with the MB and TV.

7. ancl12ew thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, the only time i really play games is on my 360 which is a big reason i want a new tv. how does your mbp look on your tv and what kind of tv do you have? im not too worried about the mb screen quality because if i really want to watch videos online ill end up hooking it up to my new tv.

8. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

I forgot to say, the MB will cover what you are needing to use it for (internet browsing etc.) You'll love having both a MB and big TV. DO THE RIGHT THING!