Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I use the outer points regularly in portraiture.

where did I bring up fps?

the gap in your logic is that the comment we're talking about is which is worth more for your money. the 5DII has better IQ than the 7D. great. is that IQ at the cost of grossly inferior AF worth another $900? I don't think so, especially for most photographer, who don't even print. the only difference between a 450D and a 1DsIII at 1000 pixels is the depth of field at the same f-stop.

both 35mm and APS-C have ultra-wide lenses.
depth of field is not an IQ consideration. some want more, some want less.

I hope you realize the AF system of the 7D is much more than just 10 more focusing points. in fact, its prowess in AF tracking has little to do with the number of AF points.
Only very recently did Sigma come out with a 8-16mm lens for APS-C, until then the widest rectilinear lens by far was the Sigma 12-24mm lens, which I own.
Depth of field is an IQ consideration, as much as bokeh is. The point in the "some want less" camp is that they can just stop down. They can't magically get less without going to a wider aperture lens or a bigger format.

If "the 5DII has better IQ than the 7D. great. is that IQ at the cost of grossly inferior AF worth another $900?" was true then how does Mamiya, Leica, Hasselblad, and Leaf get away with selling even larger format backs for so much damn money. Most of which either do not AF or have relatively antiquated AF systems?

Again, you're basically saying "this feature is good, this feature is bad" Why not just step back and realize that some people look for different things in a camera and stop saying how hard it is to justify this camera or that camera. Its just your opinion, so stop dropping terms like "most photographers" that are totally meaningless as you certainly do not have any hard numbers to back any of that up. If anything, I'm sure Canon and Nikon and Sony have done the research on what "most photographers" want and they sum that research up into the various cameras they make and sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.