Choice (refurb or new MBP)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zephgx, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Zephgx macrumors member

Hello,

Right now i decided to go get a MacBook Pro once i get enough money to get it. Say if i were to buy it now (and of course had the money :D ), there are 2 websites that are legit to buy a MBP,

A store called ecomelectronics for a Brand new MBP for $1799 free ship and idk about tax (most likely tiger and no leopard drop in disc and no choice of screen)

or from the Refurbrished store from Apple for 1699+tax-iphone rebate (2 rebates) would go to $1639 (probably with drop in leopard disc and choice of screen)

Is it worth the extra hundred to get that new Apple smell and new MBP, along with my rebates or should i just jump for a refurb and spend the rebates?

The other one is waiting, but thats something slightly different...

Thanks

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I'd go for the refurb. You still get that 'new mac smell' and save some dough into the bargain. They're really indistinguishable from new - apart from the box.

3. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I just got the exact same macbook pro refurbished. 2.2 mbp SR Glossy (after having been an avid matte user... I still dont' like the macbook size screen as glossy... or the imacs, but on the mbp it just seems to work.. not sure why) and it was PERFECT.

Sides... you have (atleast IMHO) less chance of getting a yellow tint issue or random issues when you go refurb. I'm sure there may be stats that say otherwise, but it seems, that since someone would have already returned it, and apple would have fixed whatever problem it was returned for... they pobably already looked over it thoroughly.

I've had nothing but great experiences with apple refurbs. And yes.. you do get a drop in disc :) for leopard and ilife 08.

So... refurb... better deal, better use of money.. and it'll automatically be registered with the correct date as far as warranty and such via apple. :)

4. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

Yes, get the refurb. Can't go wrong, and a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks.