Choices for the 3rd Go Around

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Scarpad, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I'd like to hear especially from Ipad users that has owned every Gen Ipad on what decisions will you make differently this time around concerning On board Memory and whether you are going wireless /3g/4LTE, or wireles only.

And why..

It will help my decisions.

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Had the 3G models of both with 64gb. I question if I will ever need more memory unless Apple lets me do more with the storage space and I doubt they will do that!

No doubt I will be getting the 3 with LTE and at least 64GB.

3. urkel macrumors 68030

For me 32GB is no longer enough because these apps are getting huge and Im tired of managing apps in order to free up space. Plus, if you are an iPhoto/Aperture user that sync's photos then the images used will need to match the resolution of the retina display.

4. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I got a 16gb wifi iPad 2. I don't mind the storage space, but there are times when I'm traveling and don't have wifi that I really wish I had the 3G. I'll be getting 3G/4g/whatever next time, but still whatever the smallest storage space is.

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I still have my original iPad.

When I bought it I had budgeted for a 16gb 3G.

I had recently jail broken my phone and was able to tether. Once I got to the store I decided to use the money for a 32gb wifi only. I thought I would use the extra space since my iTunes library alone is close to 20gb.

I put all of my music and movies on the iPad and found that I would rather listen to my music on my phone while using the iPad.

I have also stopped tethering. Therefore, I will probably be getting the lowest memory with 3G. I find myself limited on where I can use the wifi only iPad. I may stick with the 32gb (if 16 is still offered) just to be on the safe side. My first iPhone was an 8gb and I got tired of shuffling content to make it fit.

Sorry for the long winded post. Have a great day everyone! :)

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Have had them both, both were 64GB wifi only, and this time around I'm hoping for 128GB...No change I don't need or want a 3G version. I have my iPhone for that...I eat space though, so hoping for the larger capacity top end model.

7. HERO XXL macrumors regular

Both of my tablets have been 3G versions--I'd rather have and not need than need and not have. In terms of the whole LTE argument--I couldn't care less. Everyone talks about speed is such a big factor--but I remember having internet access on not-so-smart phones--and it's NOTHING like THAT, so I'm happy.
    The only change that I made when jumping from the first to the second was the storage capacity. I've said it before--with the advent of cloud storage, having all that storage on a mobile device isn't necessary. As long as you have a more than adequate amount at your "home base", you should be good. I didn't come anywhere NEAR filling up the 64 gigs on the first, so I went with 32 on the second--just to be on the safe side. Whatever you decide, good luck.

8. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I've been perfectly happy with the 16gb\wifi version of the first two iPads. I don't take my iPad outside the house, and I don't require much storage. I have my iPhone to store all my music. I may get the 32gb this time around, but it's not a necessity for me.

9. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

For me, if i didn't have an iPhone/smartphone to tether with, I would purchase a 3G/4G model. However, since I do have a 4S, I don't see the point in spending an extra $130 on the iPad and $30 a month.

I also used to consider space to be a priority, but now that we have photstream, iCloud, and iTunes Match, I think I will go for the 16gb model. Might spring for the 32gb, but will probably only happen if there aren't any 16gb models left.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Have had 32GB & 64GB. Undecided which I'll choose; I can get away with 32GB fine, but more space is always better. Downside is that resale as a % of original price seems to be a little lower on 64GB units than 32GB units.

I will get wireless. A good part of the price difference does come back in resale. You do NOT have to sign up for service until/unless you want it, and just pay for it for as long as you want to keep it. I could tether, but the price difference between switching to a tethering plan and using a data plan on the ipad isn't enough to outweigh factors such as battery impact, convenience, etc.

11. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

I will certainly get the lowest-capacity one again (probably 16GB if the latest rumors are to be believed).

I'm using it much more as a portable computer than as a media device so the amount of storage isn't really relevant, with my apps I come to about 3-4GB currently. I may put a few movies on there when I go on a trip but I can just swap them out when I want more. I would have regretted spending the extra quid for the 32 or 64 GB.

I have the 3G currently, not sure if I'll go for it again. Probably will, it's handy when travelling and when I'm somewhere for an extended period I just get a local prepay sim which works nicely for internet access on the go.

12. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

quick question for people with 3G ipads... can you put a pre-paid sim in them in the U.S. and use the data that way? Or are they "locked" like iPhones?

13. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

I'm eagerly awaiting what I believe will be my first iPad. I will definitely go 3G/4G as I got an extra mobile internet 3G contract for free when I bought my iPhone 4S. I also like the idea of not always having to tether the iPhone-internet to my iPad. I find it more difficult to decide what storage capacity I need. I've always had the 16GB's, in my first iPod Touch, my iPhone 3GS and now my iPhone 4S. When I had the 3GS, I filled all of my memory, as I had lots and lots of photos on it, around 4000 pics, but also my entire music collection and a few apps. When I got the iPhone 4S I still decided to get a 16GB. These days however, I have no need to have all of my music library on my iPhone. Instead I use Spotify which works flawlessly. I can even sync offline playlists for moments when I'm unable to use internet. I have also stopped syncing photos from my iPhoto-library and only store photos in my phone from the built in camera. I was never particularly impressed by watching video on the iPhone size screen, thus 16GB works perfect for me. I also prefer the minimalistic usage, not filling my phone with piles of junk.

For the iPad however, I'm considering getting a 32GB (depending on the price) as I would like to put a few movies on it. A cloud-service for movies would be the ideal thing however, sort of like Netflix. Unfortunately Netflix is not available in Sweden, and the substitutes suck. I would not put music on it and I would not use the built in camera. I was mainly thinking movies, books and internet browsing, perhaps a few games and such. 16GB would be too small I believe.

My main issue is deciding what color to buy. Black or White. The Black one looks like any tablet on the market IMO, hence I might get the white one. It will probably also be easier to keep free from fingerprints. However the black one looks way more classy and would match my iPhone and iMac better. I've bought the black Apple products since my first Apple purchase in 2005, the 5G iPod. We'll see I guess! :)

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

@xxBURT0Nxx: AFAIK the GSM ipads aren't locked. CDMA (Verizon) I don't know about,.

Remember, the AT&T ipad data plans *are* prepaid. They're NOT contract plans; you sign up for a month of data when/if you want it, cancel when you don't want it. All done right from the ipad.

15. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Have the 32/3G for both the 1 and 2. I find 3G to be indispensable, especially because the iPhone's battery is already pathetic even without tethering. Also, I like being able to take advantage of GPS-enabled apps, which obviously is only available on the 3G models.

Will go for a 64 gigger this time though. Never thought I'd need it, but data, photos and video add up extremely quickly. I'm already having to manage my space on my 32, which is mildly annoying.

16. AztecKing macrumors member

AztecKing

This might sound silly but I hope they make the plug in easier to insert. It is so hard for me to plug in. Anything else I'm good with.

17. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I bought the original WiFi 16GB iPad 1 (selling this week). I also have a 32GB iPhone 4. I put all my music and videos on the iPhone so the iPad is relegated to only apps and ebooks. Thus 16GB was plenty of space for me. I also have a Verizon 4G LTE mifi to which I tether the iPad to so I will be getting the iPad 3 WiFi only again with the lowest storage space offered. I like the flexibility of a mifi which I also use with my Macbook.