choices mba vs mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tildesley, Jun 12, 2012.

1. tildesley macrumors regular

now that the 13" MBA & MBP are the same price, I'm stuck thinking & haven't been able to decide between the two.

my current 2008 MB struggles with 4gb & page outs a lot, so I'm looking at 8gb, I could throw 16gb in an MBP though, I don't really want to be thinking in 3 years, I wish I had 16gb.

the hard drive on the MBA is tight for me, 128gb which I guess is 120 formatted, I have a extreme connected airdisk so in theory I could use that.

my concern with the MBP is that it isn't as future proof as the MBA, from the keynote yesterday I noticed the MBA will gain some features in Mountain Lion the MBP doesn't, I know they are only small now but who knows what 10.9 will bring.

where would you spend your money given the choice? :confused:

2. Liquinn Suspended

Do you need the power or the portability more?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What do you use your computer for? Odds are either one will be fine for you.

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Think long and hard about the RAM because you can't upgrade, I went for 16, although I think that might have been a little OTT.

5. tildesley thread starter macrumors regular

not gaming, just internet browsing, email, itunes, word, excel, outlook, all together, i guess thats the reason for page outs. currently im using 109gb of hdd. in theory, i could move out the 32gb music folder & run that from my airdisk.

maybe im been overthinking that if the ssd or ram fails after a year, in a MBA i wouldn't been able to fix it.

6. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

How likely is that to happen?

7. tildesley thread starter macrumors regular

ahh, the million $$$ question in my head, as it's me, probably quite likely! seriously though, i'm guessing a hardware failure is slim to zero, just in my head i'm thinking it.

am i likely to see any difference in speed or beach ball from a 1.7ghz to a 2.5ghz?

just going back to future proofing again, im planning on keeping it for at least 4 years, I'm edging towards the MBP as I can fit a SSD/memory at a later date, with the MBA I wouldn't really have that option.

8. chikit macrumors newbie

Please get the MBA. The difference between SSD and HD is so substantial it can't be ignored. Also purchasing a separate SSD as an upgrade is very expensive. The difference in CPU won't be felt very much, if at all. The weight difference and form factor will be noticed on a daily basis, you will find yourself carrying an optical drive for the next 4 years regretting it's existence. You may argue that you could remove it and install a separate HD/SSD but then ask yourself why get a small 13" notebook if you're adding weight to it? Not only that, but a second HD/SSD will take up more battery power than the optical drive. The optical drive itself is incredibly lightweight at less than 80g. I know because I tried removing it off my 15" MBP before a travelling trip (I put it back in after finding out how little of a difference it made).

If you need more storage, get the 256GB or just put your data on an external hard drive. IMO the speed advantage outweighs the storage capacity by far.

9. tildesley thread starter macrumors regular

but as the price of SSD falls, surely that would be a better option for me to upgrade later with a MBP and/or even some more RAM?

I'm not concerned by the weight, I used to carry a 17" win laptop with me, now that was weight! :D

Is the difference in screen, 1280 vs 1440, going to be visible? I get the whole resolution will be sharper deal, does it equate to more screen real estate as well?

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If its tight now, its only going to get worse as time goes on. Either upgrade to the larger SSD or consider the MBP.

Don't skimp on the storage, sure the MBP hard drive is wicked slow compared to an SSD but it can hold your data and it can be replaced easily.

If you have your heart set on the MBA then upgrade the storage to the 256gb SSD.

It appears based on your usage either Mac will suit your needs performance wise but personally I like the idea of having extra horsepower.