Choices - The new Razer Blade vs the expected new rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by utopianbl, May 30, 2017.

1. utopianbl macrumors member

I lucked out, and got a new Razer Blade through a pricing error from Amazon. In Canadian dollars, I only paid $2750 tax in for a nRB with 1TB of SSD, 6GB GPU, and 16GB of RAM.

As a Apple user for the past 10 years; I have used 2011 MBP until the nRB. Now with the new rMBP (maybe) on the horizon, I'm tempted to remain in the apple universe.

From what I can tell, these would be the major differences - and I'm trying to see if it justifies the cost different and the transition from MAC OS to Windows.

Pros (Buy rMBP, sell nRB)
    better specs (2.9/3.8 vs 2.8/3.8) for CPU, better res (2880x1800 vs 1920x1080), has facetime/imessage/apps such as photos for management and spark/omnifocus which don't exist in Windows universe.

Cons (keep nRB, don't buy rMBP)
    rMBP cost (if it stays the same as current price) will cost me $4.9k after tax with the same specs as what I have through nRB. thats over $2k price difference. In addition, if they don't update GPU - I'm stuck with the older/slower GPU @4GB.

My main reason for the top of the line system is playing my favorite vice - FM17 which is extremely intense on CPU/GPU, photos management, video editing (my job) etc.

What would you folks do?

2. robvas macrumors 68020

Would never consider the Razer personally. It runs Windows, bad battery life, etc etc.

3. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Firstly. It's a computer, both are computers. They perform a function, which in your case is video editing. Clearly the Razer is up for the job which is why you brought it. The rest is personal preferences.

Secondly. There is no answer to this, you can pro/con all day long, you'll have something that costs more, or something that has better specs, but cheaper, but not as good build quality, but doesn't run macOS, but but but...

Honestly if you want a MacBook and you think it will provide value to your life then get it. If not then save the money, you might find it's a shiny new toy that you tire of after a week and wish you took the money and had a holiday instead.

4. Garrett998 macrumors member

Windows 10 is a solid operating system. I wouldn't be put off by the fact that it is Windows unless you actually hate Windows.

The Razer will undoubtedly have better performance as any minor advantage provided by the rMBP's newer CPU will be negated by the massive difference in GPU in the Razer's favor (even an updated GPU in the rMBP wouldn't come close to the 1060). In terms of hardware, the rMBP has resolution, overall build quality, and "professionalism" going for it.

The rMBP is going to be prohibitively more expensive, but then again Razer has notoriously bad customer service which might cost you more in the long run. I'm not sure there is a clearcut answer to this question.

5. ZapNZs, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017

ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

The Blade is better for gaming. The MBP is arguably better for everything else. Owners are much happier with the MBP than they are the Blade, and owners are so much happier with Apple support than they are Razer support it is nearly comical. Razer's history of refusing to honor their own warranty is anything but inspiring when it comes to making a $2,000+ investment.

The Blades I have worked with have an awesome industrial design but do not seem to run Windows 10 nearly as well as a Mac does via Bootcamp, or other high-end Win 10 machines, such as the Surface Book (for example, several Blades I have worked with have sleep issues.)

If it were me personally, I would shell out the cash for a MBP and call it a day. I do not think I could personally trust Razer when it comes to a machine that I depend on for my livelihood. If you ever needed more gaming performance down the road, an external GPU is becoming increasingly practical.

6. jerryk macrumors 68030

Which system does better at these tasks?

7. utopianbl thread starter macrumors member

thanks everyone for your responses. already learnt a bit that didn't really have.

I'll be honest, I got the nRB because it was a price error - buy first, think later - not the best approach I know, but selling it on Kijiji/Ebay will still net me around +200-300 bucks. So I have no qualms about selling it.

so far, the Razer has been pretty good. That said, its fan is RIDICULOUSLY loud. So much so, my wife in the other room, on a different floor, can hear the humming. Its insane. I've already run into two sleep issues - where the Razer has refused to wake up from sleep.

That said, I'm hearing less than favorable things about the rMBP as well. Hoping the new version (if released) addresses some of that.