Choices.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karthiks, Mar 17, 2011.

1. karthiks macrumors newbie

Hey,

I have to get a machine for my office use - programming which will use ogre3d etc.

Choices - any MBP. which one do you suggest? I currently use a 13" 2009.

I am stuck between the high end 13" and the 15" versions (both low and high).

Cheers and thank you for your time :)

2. ptsube macrumors 6502

For graphics work, unless you have a monitor,and even if you do have a monitor, I would definitely go for the 15" with the hi-res screen. Get the best processor you can afford and you can upgrade the other stuff as you need.

You should always go for more pixels when doing any kind of graphics or design work. Unless you NEED the 13" for portability, do the 15".

3. plaxico44 macrumors regular

plaxico44

+1 for the 15" You would be fine with the 2.0 i7. If you have the money, go for an SSD down the road.

4. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

I'd recommend a 15-inch MacBook Pro with 8 GB of memory and a high resolution display (or the standard resolution display coupled with a high resolution external display).

Either of the two graphics processor options would likely suit your needs, although you'd likely see better battery life with the 2.0 GHz base model (which uses the AMD Radeon HD 6490M) - if travelling is important at all I'd take that into consideration.

Hope that helps, have a great day! :)

5. karthiks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the replies. Even to a question asked many times over :)

How does one feel about the weight of the 15" as compared to the 13"?

6. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

15'' would suit you better. As for the weight, once you get used the advantages will be many more than the drawbacks.

7. themadrussian macrumors regular

I had the aluminum unibody (Late 2008) MacBook and upgraded to the 15" 2011 2.2/8GB/500-7200rpm. The added weight is really not a big deal. It's one pound. I can still comfortably use it in bed / on my lap / on the go. It's not an iPad/MacBook Air, but for the power and capability that it has, it's a fair tradeoff. I find the 15" to be the sweet spot for performance vs portability. A 15" MBP i7 Sandy Bridge can easily go into your backpack / bag and will demolish any other computer (even some Mac Pros) in just about every task.