Choose between Rev C and Rev D

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by genekend, Jan 1, 2011.

1. genekend macrumors newbie

I just got a refurbished MacBook Air from apple. What they didn't tell me when I ordered was that it was Rev C. I got the 13 with the 2.13 processor. It was $200 less than the Rev D. Question is should I send it back and get Rev D with 1.86 processor for $200 or keep Rev C. Biggest difference I see is SD card slot.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I definitely would. It's not just the SD card slot, there are plenty of improvements in the rev D (better GPU, battery life, trackpad, SSD, screen, cooling system.....)

3. jenzjen, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

jenzjen macrumors 68000

Not to go off on a tangent, but Apple Apple highlights the newer MBAs as "released Oct 2010" on the refurbished site but do not list a released date for the older models.

4. mixvio macrumors 6502

I keep seeing this Rev C, Rev D stuff around here but I'm not entirely sure what it means. Did they sneak out new versions of the MBAs after the refresh in October, or am I missing something?

5. KPOM macrumors G5

Rev C is what was sold from June 2009-October 2010.

6. philxor macrumors regular

I saw the same thing on the refurb site and yes they do note which ones are Rev. C versus the newest ones. Also, if the price seems to good to be true then it probably is...

7. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

OP, first I would say see if Disk Utility lists the SSD as the APPLE SSD SM128 or TS128b.

If it's the TS128b then you have the newer Toshiba SSD - and it'll be just as fast as the new 2010 MBA's.

The older MBA's have a backlit keyboard (something I love).

You alone will have to decide if it's worth it to save $200.

If you do have the Toshiba SSD, than the 2.13Ghz older MBA will perform just as well as the new 1.86Ghz MBA (assuming both also have 2GB of RAM).

8. KPOM macrumors G5

That isn't quite true. The Rev D also has better heat management, so the processor won't throttle down as often. Plus, the Rev D has a faster integrated graphics chip.

Assuming the Rev C does have the Toshiba SSD, the main differences between it and the Rev D are that the Rev D has the SD card slot, the extra USB port, higher resolution, the glass trackpad, and the NVIDIA 320m, along with a better battery. On the other hand, the Rev C has the backlit keyboard, and the SSD model comes standard 2.13GHz processor, while the Rev D comes standard with only the 1.86GHz model.