iPad Choose ipad Air or Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chris_super, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Chris_super macrumors newbie

Hi Forum,

I am completely new in the field. Any thoughts on whether to go for a air 1 or 2? I will mostly use it for light use, internet mail and the occational viewing of photos. However, I have read that the multitasking feature in iOS9 will only come to the air 2? Will that be a killer feature?

Basically, my question is. Would you go for the Air 1 or Air 2 if this was your first ipad? Price, features and use considered?

BR
    Chris

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I'd recommend the Air 2, just considering futureproofing alone. It's got a much better processor and double the RAM. As it's the only iPad that supports the multitasking feature in iOS 9 and has a little more power under the hood, it would be the better of the two for the long term. If you get the Air 1 it's already outdated in the sense that you're already not getting the full iOS features.

I'd also suggest waiting for the new iPhones later this week as they may be updating the iPads too, or possibly be updating them in October.

3. Thares macrumors regular

Thares

I think keysofanxiety is right.

I owned an iPad Air since November 2013. And I just sold it to buy an anticipated new iPad – or a refurbished iPad Air 2 after the announcement. So my opinion is easy: Of course the iPad Air 2.

4. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

If possible, always buy the newer tech. It will serve you longer and yes the split screen is a very nice feature.

5. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I own both, hands down the iPad 2. 2gb of ram makes a big difference. Also the iPad Air 2 screen feels much better, the air one feels like it's hollow, I touch is a bonus .

6. newellj macrumors 601

Agree. I had an Air until recently and it was a great tool, but with iOS 9 just around the corner, it makes sense to get the Air 2. I'd wait until the Apple event on the 9th to see whether there will be an Air 3 (which rumors suggest won't happen) and whether pricing changes.

7. ACG12 macrumors 6502

Do you want a 4 cylinder Ecoboost Mustang or the Shelby GT350?

Go with the Air 2, it is a great device (if you can overlook the minor vibration issue).

8. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

If you want the best tablet, get the Air 2. If you plan on keeping it for a long time, get the Air 2. - Basically, get the Air 2.

Unless, you get a killer deal on the iPad Air of course! Which I did. The iPad Air cost $269 on sale here, brand new. iPad Air 2 was $399. I actually managed to get my iPad Air for a $200 from the same store. Brand new! Sure, the iPad Air 2 is better, but the additional cost wasn't worth it to me. The iPad Air is still a great tablet. I had a bit of lag in Safari at first but found it was only to do with iCloud syncing. Now it works perfectly. I love the big screen and it doesn't feel much bigger/heavier than my old Mini. Sure, Safari reloads pages, but being a basic iPad user, just like you, it doesn't bother me.

I will keep the iPad Air till Force Touch and stylus support from the iPad Pro trickles down into the iPad Air 3 hopefully next year, at which point I hope to sell and break even on the iPad Air. :)

9. tedson macrumors regular

Get the Air 2 for all of the reasons stated above but don't do anything till after Wednesday's announcements.

I am in the process of trading in my iPad (3rd generation) for Amazon credit. I will then probably be buying an iPad Air 2 w/ 64Gb.

If they announce only an iPad Pro and an iPad mini 4 as the rumors suggest, then its likely that the new Air 3 won't be out until sometime Spring 2016 so get the Air 2 now.

If Apple doesn't announce any iPads Wednesday then I would hold off if possible until an October iPad/Mac event before making a decision to see if they release a new iPad Air 3 sooner.

10. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

Get the air 2 if you can I picked one up today myself

Now when I get my Verizon deposit back I may get me a iPad mini 4 or iPad Air 3 if there a air 3 if not I get the mini 4 for on the go

11. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i like to troll all day long and recommend people spend the extra $130 for the Cellular one, having cellular is great.
    T-Mobile even gives you 200 megabytes for free which is all you need for find my iPhone.

the wifi iPad does have find my iPhone but its not likely to help you

music freedom, where you can listen to music is available for $20 a month on 1 gb plans without having to pay $50 for the same feature on the iPhone.

data stash is only available on post paid.

they don't charge you extra for tetherng. thats reason #2. the iPad with its 10 hour battery life makes a good wifi hotspot!

the downside to telling people to get the cellular one is they are so against it. they don't care to spend $99 for applecare + or $100 for more storage, but recommend them to buy the cellular one and you get flamed.

apple does not have a discounted price on screens like they do on an iPhone , so you really should get applecare or square trade for your iPad. square trade has a no deductible plan.

i really wish apple would stop making wifi only iPads.

12. bushido Suspended

bushido

get the iPad Air 2 for the multitasking feature and 2GB of Ram

13. BrodieApple macrumors 6502

BrodieApple

Well I actually think you should get the iPad Air considering what you want to do. Unless you want it to do multitasking, and you're willing to pay that extra price.

14. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

Based on your usage and the price, go with an iPad Air. Mine is used daily for more than basic mail/web browsing and it still feels like new tech. Save your money.

15. macnoob00 macrumors member

It's sucks Apple didn't drop the price of the Air 2 I really looking forward to getting a updated iPad. I have the mini 2 and I'm itching for a bigger screen.

16. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

Air 2, no question. Kind of shameful Apple is even still selling the Air, frankly. It's a crash happy machine with it's limited RAM. Ironically, this very website manages to crash Safari EVERY time I try to click through to a forum thread from the main page.

17. iceman42 macrumors regular

you can get a iPad air 2 64gb for $509 in the apple refurbished store.