Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fritzichic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2007
Hello I am new to Mac and I am about to take the plunge. I will wait until June 11th or so for any big announcements but then I will be putting in my order.

Here is what I will be using on my computer:

Photoshop CS3 (academic version if that makes any difference)
Adobe Lightroom
Internet (I like several windows open at a time)
Word processing

I am currently debating between a Macbook and a 20" iMac, barring any major updates. I really love the idea of having a portable laptop but in all honesty it will only leave the house about 2 weeks a year. I do have a nice 19" LCD monitor I can hook up to the laptop though.

Also I am planning on upgrading ram on my own and buying an external harddrive (are these easy to use?).

So I need something to let me use CS3, Lightroom, and Internet all at the same time. If I don't have MS Office, can I still read MS word/works attachments that are sent by email (I am guessing no but I can hope)?

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
get the middle macbook. if you go portable.

and the stock 20"imac with a 256mb card.

memory is easy to upgrade on macbook, and im not sure about imac but im pretty sure it very easy too. you'll want 2gigs in either system.

you can open word files in text edit.

coday182

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2006
Jamestown, IN
middle macbook with 2 gigs. might as well get the extra gig from apple. From what I can tell you won't be doing too much intensive video card usage. A macbook with a 2.16 GHz processor and 2gb ram would suite your needs perfectly. Plus it's portable. You can also hook it up to a bigger display if need be. Oh yeah and if your budget permits you can get MS office for it too. That way you would have word and excel and all those other programs just in case.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
OpenOffice or NeoOffice can open any MS Office documents you have apart from Access databases I believe, so it shouldn't be a problem. :)

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
...might as well get the extra gig from apple.

:confused: Uhm...why? If he's willing to do the swap himself, why pay apple an extra $100 to do it for him? MacBook ram is readily available in the $30-40/GB (single stick) range.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Hello I am new to Mac and I am about to take the plunge. I will wait until June 11th or so for any big announcements but then I will be putting in my order.

Here is what I will be using on my computer:

Photoshop CS3 (academic version if that makes any difference)
Adobe Lightroom
Internet (I like several windows open at a time)
Word processing

I am currently debating between a Macbook and a 20" iMac, barring any major updates. I really love the idea of having a portable laptop but in all honesty it will only leave the house about 2 weeks a year. I do have a nice 19" LCD monitor I can hook up to the laptop though.

Also I am planning on upgrading ram on my own and buying an external harddrive (are these easy to use?).

So I need something to let me use CS3, Lightroom, and Internet all at the same time. If I don't have MS Office, can I still read MS word/works attachments that are sent by email (I am guessing no but I can hope)?

I think in your case, a macbook pro would be better. My dad thought that our computer would never leave the house, and as such, he thought that a laptop would be useless. However, having a laptop, even if it's only for home use, is vastly superior to a desktop with similar stats. The ability to move the computer within the house easily is a big bonus, and shouldn't be overlooked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.