Choose the better car

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ElectroGhandi, Jun 24, 2009.

1. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

2. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Definitely the Volvo S40. In my opinion, it looks far better than the X-Type and has a much better interior as well. The X-Type just seems "old" while the S40 is much more modern feeling.

3. three macrumors 6502a

three

Volvo S40, it is much better than the Jaguar X-Type in many ways. The S40 looks much better than the Jaguar too.

4. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I prefer the S40. Seems like a more up to date car. I'd also guess its more reliable than the X-type, which I've never heard anything good about.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Definitely the S40. Volvo makes one of the most gorgeous interiors in the industry, and the car should be better overall as well.

Ian

6. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Volvo

The X-Type is just a warmed over Ford Mondeo, anyways.

7. iGav macrumors G3

And the S40's just a warmed over Ford Focus C-Max. ;)

8. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Which actually a GOOD since the Ford C1 platform has proved to be one of the most capable and adaptable platforms in the world. Besides the second-generation European Ford Focus, the C1 platform has spawned the current Volvo C30/S40/V50 and Mazda3 models, both of which are well-liked.

Indeed, the C1 platform is the basis of the current-generation Mazda3 and will soon become the basis for the next-generation Ford Focus due fall 2010.

9. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Ding ding ding! Yup. Nothing wrong with platform sharing...but there's something seriously wrong with buying a gussied-up Mondeo and fooling yourself into thinking it's a Jag...they're practically the same ***** car :p

10. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I would go with the Volvo. It may not be "exotic" looking like some say the Jaguar looks. But it has everything else going for it! Jaguars are just plain unreliable expensive cars. They just aren't worth the trouble in my opinion. The S40 is a great looking car with a modern interior. Built on a great platform as well.

11. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

S40 of course. But, there are better choices than S40 as well.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I actually like the retro look of the Jaguar, it is a stylish car, and they used to make really beautiful cars. However, the Volvo is better-built and overall, is a better car.

Cheers

13. iGav macrumors G3

So what's bad exactly about the X-Type been based on what is generally regarded as one of the most dynamic platforms this side of BMW's venerable 3 Series?

Developing their own platform was way beyond their financial means, and one can argue that there was little point in attempting to develop one that would exceed the CD132 inherent platform dynamics... economically speaking as well.

But then... what other options did Jaguar have when they were in a situation whereby they needed to substantially increase their product to ensure short-term survival?

There's something seriously wrong with buying a gussled-up Focus C-Max and fooling yourself into thinking it's a Volvo... too. ;)

Anyway, in answer to the OP, I'd give the S40 the nod, but just because I'm not a fan of Jaguar's rather staid and archaic image, and their crappy quality interiors of course.

That said... the S40's not exactly a spring chicken either. Chop-chop Volvo... chop-chop.

14. Konga macrumors newbie

Konga

BMW E 46
    (But current I drive BMW E36 cabriolet)

15. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

There was a choice dude, this isn't just an excuse to post the cars you drive.

I would definately choose the S40. Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch nicer.

16. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I would prefer a Mercedes over any of these though, to be honest...

17. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

18. nyte3k macrumors member

nyte3k

S40 hands down. Especially the 2009 model...the rear end is so nice. Looks more sporty. I also like the C30 and V50(even though i traditionally hate wagons)

I never was a fan of the x-type. Now if you were saying Jaguar XF...then that's a different story.

[​IMG]

I also cannot wait to see the new S60.

19. Qwertylizer macrumors regular

Me too. No X-Type, no Volvo.

20. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

I dislike Mercedes. But that's because I enjoy driving.

Mercedes is like Lexus. It's what people get when they have money, but don't know anything about cars. Or how to drive.

21. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

As said a couple of posts above, S40 hands down. However, if it was the XF against the S40, it would have to be the XF.