Choose the wrong partition format!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by andyx181x, Oct 3, 2010.

1. andyx181x macrumors regular

andyx181x

Hey guys i need help fast, i wasn't paying attention when installing the windows xp and i choose the "Leave the current file system intact" option and I am unable to boot up my imac. Its a black screen saying failing to boot from cd, press any key to reboot and it doesn't. I have ejected the cd and I been trying to hold down the option button to choose which to load up from but it doesn't work. I have an external hard drive that i been using for time machine, is there any way i can boot up from that disc and then have the hard drive in the imac reset to the mac os x partition? Need answers asap!

Running Mac OS X Leopard to its fullest updated on intel core duo imac with 2 gigs of ram

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. andyx181x thread starter macrumors regular

andyx181x

Yes i can probably used the restore disc to boot up from and maybe switch the hard drive to load up from mac os x, but i need a conrfirmation i can do this. I'm not looking to reformat or restore my hard drive, i'm trying to find how i can reboot form the mac os x portion and then reinstall the windows using the right format option.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can use the Restore DVD and Disk Utility to check the volumes/partitions where Mac OS X and Windows reside. Or you can use the Restore DVD and the Utilities menu to select the Startup Disk. Anyway, you can use the Restore DVD to troubleshoot and see, if the HDD is still salvageable in regards of "still no reinstallation required".

5. andyx181x thread starter macrumors regular

andyx181x

I tried using the restore CD, i'm holding down the C key and it won't boot up from the disc. It keeps loading up the windows black window saying "Disc error, Press any key to continue". Man i can't get it to load up threw mac os x.