Choose which screen is second monitor for FCPX

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Emiel1, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Emiel1 macrumors newbie

I have two external screens connected to my MacBook and I also use the MacBooks screen itself. When I am working in final cut pro I want to use my external screens for this. The main screen is no problem, but when I select 'show in second screen' it uses my MacBooks screen. How can I tell fcpx to use the other screen?

Thanks a lot!

2. mBox macrumors 68020

Not sure if its possible to force the second screen as your main screen menu.

3. sevoneone macrumors 6502

Might have to do with how the display's are arranged in Display preferences.

4. Chrisgroom macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Nov 25, 2016 ---
    With 3 screens choose your main and secondry monitor, move the control banner to the one you want to be secondary, launch fcp then move the fcpx interface to the what will be your main screen from what will be your secondary, (fcp x launches onto the control screen with the banner) when you select show in secondary in fcpx the screen with the banner will be your secondary, (the macs main!!). The 3rd screen so long as it is set to show 1080p or whatever you are editing at will display pure video out and is selected in playback preferences. If your project is set to something the third monitor can't display natively it will not be selectable. Its a bit of messing about and 1 becomes 2- 2 becomes 1 nonsense but it does work. Sure it could be easier somehow! 10.3 has helped a bit, but only in giving a few more options for confusion.