Choose your defect, which should I keep?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JayDH, Jul 9, 2009.

?

Which defect would you keep?

1. Less yellow display, loose buttons

11 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. More yellow display, better build quality

12 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. Return them both and try it again

35 vote(s)
    60.3%
  1. JayDH macrumors 6502

My first replacement iPhone 3GS is a week 24 with a slightly yellow display (bottom third more yellow), very loose silent switch and loose volume button.

I just received a second replacement via mail due to the yellow on the bottom third, which I find distracting. It is a week 27 with very solid build quality and no loose buttons. However, the display is much more yellow than the week 24 iPhone. It is also more yellow towards the bottom.

Which would you keep? Less yellow and loose buttons OR more yellow and better build?

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Return both, go to your local apple store if one is not close by call customer relations they should help

3. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Definitely more yellow. My iPhone has a scratch on the unscratchable screen. :rolleyes:

The yellow screen doesn't bother me. Mine's kind of yellow but I never really pay attention to it. :p

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Don't keep either of them. Send them back and go to a genius bar and look at the phone in person. The genius *should* let you look at the phone before you leave and then you can decide if you wanna try any others. I did this very thing with my 3G. I looked at 3 others before deciding on the one I kept.

5. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

two options
    1. HARDEN UP AND GET OVER IT
    2. Wait for awhile then return it to an apple store hoping for some silent upgrades.

and didnt people complain when the 3G came out about a yellow screen?

6. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

By my understanding, all iPhones have a loose silent mode switch when it is enabled. My friends and family who own 3GS's have a loose silent switch too.

7. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Don't accept lose buttons...they should be solid. Never had loose buttons on either of my iPhones. My dad's iPhones (3 of them) have never had loose buttons. That's just poor build quality. The button should not be loose when enabled...that is a defect.

Yellow display...that's up to your personal preference. If it's uneven...I'd definitely return it. If it's just a warmer color...keep taking it back until you find a color level acceptable to you.

I took mine to Apple and had the LCD replaced...which resulted in the same warm display...but it's no longer uneven (was warmer towards the bottom when I got it)...which is something I think I can live with.

8. dave006 macrumors 68020

No, the switch should not be loose. It should take a firm action to move the switch to either position. :eek:

Just check a few more iPhones but my works as designed and I have an iPhone 3GS, Production week: 25 (June), Production number: 30506 :)

Dave

9. jshelton macrumors 6502a

Unbelievable.

10. JayDH thread starter macrumors 6502

I wouldn't mind a yellow display, but in both iPhones it is very uneven. White at the top and yellow at the bottom just doesn't cut it for me.

I don't think all silent switches are loose because I have one that is so loose it rattles (I also know about the rattling autofocus) when silent mode is engaged. The new replacement is solid as a rock.

I think I may just keep the more yellow replacement without the loose buttons and wait a couple months for a "silent upgrade" and get one with a nice screen at that point. I just don't have time to deal with spending hours on the phone or in an Apple store arguing for an acceptable product.

11. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Been there... done that. I ended all of my Genius Bar troubles by simply returning my iPhone 3GS. I'm content with my 3G for now. I've never seen an iPhone screen as perfect as my iPhone 3G screen. None of them compare... I must have been very lucky.

12. JayDH thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree. I sold my 3G already though. I'm just going to have to deal with a crappy display until they start to fix the problem.

13. JayDH thread starter macrumors 6502

Quick update. I called AppleCare last night and a senior tech was extremely helpful. He agreed that the screen issue is bad (he even checked out the threads here and at Apple Discussions). They are overnighting me a replacement iPhone. He also put a note in the request to have the iPhone hand-selected to be sure it does not have a display problem.

Hopefully this one does the trick!

14. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

Be sure to report back and let us know!

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've never had loose buttons on ANY of my iPhones; don't settle for poor craftsmanship regardless of the item you are purchasing. Box it up and make your way to the nearest Apple Store....:eek::eek::eek:

16. JayDH thread starter macrumors 6502

Here's an update. I called to complain about the yellow display on my replacement 3GS. The representative assured me that a new 3GS would be shipped to me and it would be "hand-selected" to be sure the display was not yellow.

I received the new 3GS a couple days ago and YES, it was a normal display similar to my old 3G. It is a week 28 and the difference between its display and my previous 3GS was like night and day. I must say that I am very pleased with the service that I received via Apple support.

Anyone who is not happy with your 3GS display should complain until you get an iPhone you are happy with, they are out there!

17. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I love stories with a happy ending. Congrats on your new iPhone!