Choosing a 15in rMBP Configuration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cuniac, May 24, 2015.

?

Configuration Vs Cost

1. 15in dGPU (Base Price)

36 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. 15in dGPU w/CPU Bump (+$200 Over Base)

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  3. 15in dGPU w/1TB (+$500 Over Base)

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  4. 15in dGPU w/CPU Bump & 1TB (+$700 Over Base)

14 vote(s)
    20.3%
  1. mcarling macrumors 65816

That's the price when buying in quantity 1000. It's not the price that Apple pay.

2. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes it would be nice but the thing you have to realize about apple, that is both great yet sometimes disappointing is Apple is not a computer company. They are a design company. This has been true since early 2000 when they were rebranded.

Because of this we pay designer prices. This results in amazing looking products like the iPhone 6, all MacBooks, iPad, and the super cool looking Mac Pro. The downside is design makes products cost more, can cause them to not be as "powerful" as they could be, and take painful leaps forward as sceen with the Mac Pro. Mac Pro looks amazing, but offers no PCI slots, but does offer 6 thunderbolt ports where you can attach PCI chassis to at an added cost.

While this can be frustrating at time for us, it has made them billions, and kept us coming back year after year. This is the price we pay for design and innovation.

3. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Easy - :30 - 1:30 boot via external drive, < :30 on the internal SSD. I also don't have to wait forever for the OS to be usable once the desktop comes onscreen. When I need to boot into Windows, I want to be up and running ASAP so I can get back to OS X as soon as possible. It also saves me from having to carry yet another peripheral and cables.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I disagree. It only takes me 15 seconds to boot up in Windows from the external SSD.

5. shoehornhands macrumors regular

Trays are usually what's sold to the OEMs aren't they?

I'm sure Apple gets a significant discount given the quantity of chips they purchase from Intel but I'm assuming the price of both chips would scale similarly (i.e. whatever it is that Apple pays would be similar for both chips).

Any potential binning aside, there's literally no physical difference between the 2.2 GHz and 2.5 GHz chips. Intel simply locks the multiplier for the purposes of product differentiation. Point being, if they're willing to sell trays for the exact same price, why would the price scale differently when even larger quantities are purchased?

Unless you're suggesting Apple would purchase in smaller quantities or something. If you have anymore info I'd be interested to hear it because I'm just speculating.

6. wct097 macrumors 6502

It's a lost cause. That guy seems hung up on his decision to use external drives and thinks everyone should love carrying around a bunch of drives as much as he does.

I'm with you. I bought my MBP because it was the whole package. Performance, form factor, and battery life. When I leave for work, I toss it in a zip up case to protect it and head out. No drives, no power adapter, mouse, etc. I carry just my computer. Same goes when I head out to a meeting or to a client's office. I grab the laptop and nothing else. I have zero desire to carry around a bunch of stuff to accomplish what I need.

The only time I willingly choose to carry around more than just my laptop is when I'm going out of town or know I'll be away from my office for longer than 5 hours.... at which time I carry my power adapter.

That's why I just can't help but wonder about people that advocate electing to have to depend on a USB drive from the start. It's one thing if you run out of space and augment with a USB drive and another thing completely to buy the computer knowing it doesn't have enough space for your needs. It just doesn't make any sense to me. They must spend most of their time with the laptop stationary on a desk and not really use it in a mobile fashion.

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I think that's it exactly. If I had to pack up external drives every time I had to take the MBP with me I would quickly get sick of doing it. It's really nice to have everything all in one place on a super fast SSD to boot.

8. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

The internal SSD is really the way to go. I wish I could justify getting a 1TB so I'll get the 512. It just so expensive. Besides If it really becomes an issue, I could always sell the MBP in a year and only loose like 200 to 300 and pick the larger HD at that time

9. newellj macrumors 604

I had them both for over a week and had essentially identical installations on both. There really wasn't a noticeable difference. That's not to say that there wasn't a difference, but you had to use benchmarks to prove it.

10. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Have fun carrying that drive and cables. I'll stick to my all-in-one solution.

11. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I bought the Apple Dolly, is very light weight and allows me to take my desk with me. I'm totally portable now :). lol ok jokes aside I will be using a laptop bag anyway with other cables, throwing a MyPassport in that that's the size of a deck of cards isn't going to make this a deal barker. Sure I would LOVE to have the 1TB, but $500 is to much.

12. clovehitch macrumors member

clovehitch

Exactly. Whenever possible its more efficient to maximize local storage. Cloud is great provided you have a speedy wifi, and the cloud service a consistently speedy server. Good luck on that one.

External drives are and will be bread and butter for many needs. At the same time the 1TB internal SSD has made almost all of my external drive use a legacy function.

13. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I have an external I use at home only to hold my iTunes library, archived photos/videos, etc. When I'm traveling, I can access my iTunes stuff from the cloud, and my photos are backed up to both Dropbox and flickr, so I don't need to carry the drive at all.

14. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I'll have fun carrying my USB SSD, which is only about 12cmx2cmx0.5cm, weighing about 100g or so.

And it's only one cable. Besides it's so slim and light to the point that I just place the drive in my pocket and snake the USB cable out to the Mac.

Attached Files:

15. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

It's still something extra to carry, REGARDLESS of how small and light it is. One more thing to break while traveling, one more thing to lose...

16. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

Here's a great solution. Get this:
    Transcend JetDrive Lite 360 256GB Storage Expansion Card for 15-Inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display Late 2013-Mid 2014 (TS256GJDL360) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WGARJGU/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_oiqzvb156KP82

Fits flush in the SD card slot. I store my iTunes library on it. Works like a charm. Since it's mainly just reading files, it doesn't matter if it's not the same blazing speed as the main SSD.

17. mcarling macrumors 65816

That's not a safe assumption. Hardly anyone pays list prices for CPUs. The quantity 1000 business is a nuisance business for Intel and that reflects nuisance pricing.

Companies like Apple, Dell, and HP which place orders months in advance for quantities in the millions get discounts similar to the discounts airlines get when they order airliners from Airbus and Boeing. Discounts are smaller for spot orders. I have no doubt that Apple are paying more for the 2.5Ghz chips than for the 2.2GHz chips.

18. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

It would be a good solution for things that don't need a fast read/write. The internal SSD is just so much faster than that at over 17x. I like that western digital thunderbolt mypassport pro in 2tb for 299. its 233MBps so its no solid state but good storage a decent speeds

19. mcarling macrumors 65816

Apple sees itself as a consumer electronics company. That's why they changed the name from Apple Computer Inc. to Apple Inc.

20. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes but on the same note Apple see themselves as just consumer electronics company, as much as Dolce & Gabbana see themselves as clothing manufactures. They have referred to themselves many times as a design company. This is also why on every Apple product you buy it no longer says Made By, it always says Designed By for this reason.

21. clovehitch macrumors member

clovehitch

It makes me smile not having to unmount, and contemplate the possible longevity of that silly USB 3.1 connector, while waiting to unplug and pack up. Sure you can get all zen about it, and sit there with a serene smile, but I'd rather get to the coffee shop first. :cool:

22. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

My iTunes and photo libraries wouldn't fit on a 1TB version of that by themselves, let alone 256GB. And why would I need to carry them with me when I can access my stuff through the cloud?

23. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

The iTunes library was just an example of how you could use this. People also put their photos, documents, home videos, etc. on these drives. (However, it's not suitable for running virtual machines -- WAY too slow.)

As for iTunes in the cloud, I have iTunes Match, which stores everything in the cloud, but only at 256kbps. I use the Jetdrive for my hi-res audio files, which are a smaller percentage of my overall music library. This works nicely when I want to play hi-res tracks at full native quality.

24. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I use iTunes match myself. 256K ACC sound amazing, These are not your grandmas MP3 :). I have all my movies on a plex server. And I don't need to take all my photos with my. While I still wish I could justify a 1TB, and I really do. 512GB should be plenty. At least I hope so.

25. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

Yes, 256k AAC does sound very good. But as I said, I have certain tracks that when played at full resolution convey a sense of realism that I don't get from the compressed (AAC) versions.

512GB will enough if you manage your storage. This space limitation helped me become clear on which files I really NEED with me at all times, and which can be left on an external drive (and/or the cloud).

That said, only you know what this balance is for you. Think carefully about this before you buy. The $450 (@ student discount) you saved on the SSD will give you little comfort if later on you find yourself somewhere without internet access, wishing you had more space on your rMBP.