Choosing a Canon HV20 a HV30 or the GL2

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Marlin, May 29, 2008.

1. Marlin macrumors member

:apple:I'v elected to go the tape route as I'm at sea at least 30 days at a time(big game fishing). Backup as usual is the issue. The folks at apple like the Canon for FCP which camera would be ideal for fast action takes.

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Could you rephrase that a bit? What exactly are you doing with it? Recording a fishing trip?

P-Worm

3. Marlin thread starter macrumors member

Yes, thanks for the reply. Forget the GL2 after further review I'm down to the Canon HV30 and the Sony HC9. Because of editing ease with the format. The storage issue is I don't want to loose video with a hard drive which I would have to use with a HDD camera and in heavy seas the less moving parts the better. I have a MBP 2.6 GHZ 4GB RAM and will burn a DVD for extra security when the tapes fill up. I have a crew member who takes the actual video while I do the angling. I'v had pro camera people on board in the past and was a disaster they get sea sick and if not make ridiculous demands. The videos i have go back 25 years of Giant Marlin, Swordfish etc. The spectacular jumping is the jewel in the film. The most important thing is an easy camera to operate with performance a close second.

4. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I prefer the HV20 to both of those mainly because of the price/performance ratio, but some prefer the Sony. Whatever you pick of those, you will be getting a great camera. I wouldn't worry too much about making the 'right' choice because I think you will be happy with any of those.

P-Worm

5. McBob macrumors member

Hv20

Hi Marlin, my advice would be go for the HV20 or 30. I have the 30 and choose it just for the aesthetics over the 20. This is a great camera for the price which ever one you go for. Other bonuses:

• Better manual support
    • Easier upgrades ie microphone
    • Host of helpful info on www.hv20.com

Hope this helps!

Rob

6. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I recently bought a HV30 after going through a lot of researching, umm/aah'ing, etc.

It's excellent. Also picked up a Rode Videomic (very good mic for the money), a wind sock for it (deadcat), and I'm now looking at wide angle lenses, better tripod, etc.

The quality of the footage is awesome, the things you can do with the HV20/30 is just amazing....

www.hv20.com for loads of info!

you won't regret it, works brilliantly on my mac in iMovie 08 or FCE :)

James

7. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I have 2 HV30's and loved them. Well I had two.

Today one of them died, it got a " Remove The Cassette " message.

So I tried to remove the cassette and it would not spit it out.

Finally I coerced the tape out - battery out - power down - hold tape eject button - insert AC power adapter - tape came out.

Unit would not accept another tape.

We suspect this was a moisture/humidity issue.

I bring this up because you mention going to sea and using it.

GOOGLE --> HV30 Cassette Removal

You will see too many mentions of this error on the HV20/HV30

Some have had to use " Reset " to clear it, that did not work for me.

I suspect "Reset" works in the case of a bad tape and not humidity.

I returned THAT unit, because I was able to. Still have one.

Now looking for another solution as I many times am in areas of high humidity.

I saw mention of this on the HV20 HV30 and one of the GL models.