Choosing a Cell Phone: Text vs. Camera

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gamoe, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Gamoe macrumors regular

The two features I most want in a phone is good texting capability and a good quality, high-megapixel camera sensor for on-the-go snapshots when I don't have my dedicated camera with me. For the former I prefer a physical keyboard.

My current phone, a Samsung Behold (the first one, not the Android successor) has gone haywire and I need to replace it. The digitizer is on the fritz. I don't even want to bother trying to fix it, as its mediocracy has inspired my contempt. Before malfunctioning, it served as an okay texting machine. It was okay, though I would have preferred a physical keyboard.

The camera was okay, though not as good as I would have wanted. My old Motorola Zine with "Kodak" lens produced much better photo quality, though it had the same 5-megapixel resolution as the Behold.

Now I am trying to decide what to get as a replacement. To complicate matters, the AT&T T-Mobile buyout is not really something I'm looking for, and I plan to jump ship when/if it all comes about. Unfortunately, I won't be able to use a GSM phone on any other carrier, so whatever phone I get now I would have to change for a CDMA phone in likely less than a year's time, so I really wouldn't like to spend much on a replacement for now.

Now that that's out of the way- I'm considering several phones, including the Sidekick LX, which seems to be going for $60-$80 on eBay right now, and the Samsung Gravity, which seems even cheaper, though I am drawn to the Samsung Memoir for its 8-megapixel camera as well, though it seems to sell at about $150 these days.

I've thought of just carrying a cheap dedicated camera with me, considering the low photo quality of most of these phones, but I'm not sure I'm ready to carry so many devices. Any suggestions, phone or otherwise?

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am going to say go blackberry.

You want a physical keyboard Blackberry is the gold standard there. Add to it that they do tend to put fairly good cameras in their phones.

I miss my keyboard from my blackberry.

3. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I like the styles on the new Blackberrys, plus it's a company that makes a solid product.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

yes Blackberry phones I have found are tanks. They can take a pounding and keep on ticking. Much more so than any other phone I have owned.

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I know you probably dread hearing this, but I have to say it.

The iPhone

- It takes GREAT pictures, based on experience.

but the bad part would be the texting department.

6. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

I agree with the iPhone 4. It takes great pictures, probably among the best except for the Nokia n8 I believe.