Choosing a Compatible Monitor for Older G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RazorbackFan78, Sep 18, 2008.

1. RazorbackFan78 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.

I just picked up an older model G4 - Server Edition for $50. I've done enough research to know it was mfg in 2000 and is AGP.

As it happens, I have a Viewsonic CRT monitor mfg in that same year. I was hoping they would be compatible but I can't view anything beyond the grey apple loading screen.

I'm looking to the forum for ideas on "easiest" compatible monitor solution for my situation. Oh and I know the G4 is funcioning properly because I hooked it up to an HP L1950 monitor at my office with no issues.

Appreciate all the feedback!
    Matt

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Can the highest resolution on the Viewsonic match the HP at work?
    There's a chance an older monitor can't display greater than 1024 x 768. If the preference in the G4 is set higher than that the monitor might not display.

3. RazorbackFan78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem Solved- Thanks jodelli

That fixed it. Lowered the resolution then rebooted with the old monitor. Voila! Thanks jodelli

4. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

5. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

I was going to recommend Viewsonic - they made great CRT monitors (and I believe their LCD ones are the good cherry as well). I currently use a gifted 15" CRT with my G3.

Second choice would be the Apple branded CRT (Sony Trinitron). I was reluctant to part with my 17" one but it was too bulky and had the Apple connection plug.