Choosing a cool name for Mac/iOS dev studio: need your honest opinion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ChromeCloud, Apr 3, 2012.

1. ChromeCloud macrumors member

My friend and I are about to start a new company together. The company is all about making great iOS and Mac apps. We love to design clear, minimalistic UI, and our top priority is to make beautiful apps that are very focused on doing a specific task with a very streamlined and painstakingly intuitive workflow.

We are looking for a name for such a company, we need something that calls for a fun, refreshing user experience.

So far, our best pick has been "IceLemonade" or "Ice Lemonade Dev Studios".

Right at the moment when we were about to make the decision final, we found ourselves wondering if such a name would be as catchy for our users as it is for us.

We think macrumors forums are the best place to ask such a question, because we think it's a place largely made by people who are interested in beautiful design and easy to use software, the same kind of people we aim to reach with our future products.

Do you think "IceLemonade" stands for a fun, streamlined, refreshing user experience... or do we need to get back to the drawing board? What's your opinion about it?

2. ChromeCloud thread starter macrumors member

Lovely name, thanks for the input.

It's a shame www.littlecreamsoda.com is already taken though, we feel we need to find something that's a bit more exclusive.

What's your take on IceLemonade? Good? Bad? Tacky?

3. borisiii macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

7 traits of good product names:

Distinctive
    Short
    Appropriate
    Easy to spell and pronounce
    Likable
    Extendable
    Protectable

It's not quite the same with a brand name, but hopefully these will point you in the right direction. Good luck...

4. 184550 Guest

I keep on wanting to 'correct' it to 'IcedLemonade'.

5. eric/ Guest

eric/

Truthfully? Sounds too much like you're trying to copy off Google. Ice cream sandwhich etc...

I would dabble around in Latin or something and see if you can find a word that sounds good that fits your mission statement and company focus.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Wow, how unique :p

Honestly I don't really care what the name of a company is if their app is great. However, I do notice the name and commit it to memory if the app sucks. I think you should spend more time on making a great app and less time on worrying about the name. If you do a good job it won't matter what you're called.

7. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

I feel the same way...

And I agree with this.

8. ChromeCloud thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for putting your time into this, it's really appreciated. Now, going back to your replies...

Yep, I can see what you mean. The spelling of it was actually one of our first concerns. My friend and I are not native english speakers, so we were wondering if the spelling would look/sound weird for somebody that is. Thanks for pointing that out.

I can see the similarity, didn't think of that until now. It's kind of funny because we thought of IceLemonade well before Ice Cream Sandwhich was announced. Just as I began using "ChromeCloud", my nickname, well before Google Chrome browser was announced.

I think people are always going to perceive as "original" the brand name that's more popular, not the one that actually came out first. It's a fight that you can't win unless you become the industry leader.

I know exactly how you feel about this :D

Fear not, we aren't in the business of making another twitter client or farting app. We don't feel the need to reinvent the wheel.

As designers, we can't help to think that many things in our lives just kind of work "backwards", or they are just way more complicated than they really need to be. We believe there is a better way. We believe there is an almost infinite potential waiting to be unlocked by truly great software (and hardware) to solve everyday problems in ways nobody has ever thought of.

We ultimately believe that great design is obvious, once you see it.

Everyday life leads us to grow accustomed to bad design to the point we don't notice its flaws anymore. People take most things as "normal", occasionally nitpicking on some missing feature or service, but completely missing the bigger picture. Once people are exposed to great design, though, it immediately becomes obvious to them that anything they've used before was completely flawed.

It's time to get back to the drawing board then. Thank you everybody for your insights :)