Choosing a Good Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Astral Cars, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Astral Cars macrumors regular

I'm in the market for a display to use with my new 13" MacBook Pro so I can simplify and get rid of my 24" iMac.

I'm planning on sticking around the 24" size and would like the same aspect ratio as the iMac as well (16:10?).
    I do quite a bit of (currently non-professional) photography work, so I'd like something fairly color accurate. (IPS?)
    I would like to be in the $400-$500 range.

I really like the look of the Apple 24" Cinema Display, especially the integrated MagSafe/Mini DisplayPort/USB cord. However, the price is high and I'd prefer a matte screen.

I've looked a bit at Dell, Samsung, and NEC, with perhaps the closest option being the Dell U2410, though that Dell logo might drive me nuts staring at me all day...

Anyway, does anyone have advice or experience with displays that more or less fit my desires? Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

I'd suggest trying to find an older 20" or 23" Apple Cinema Display. It's still an excellent display that was discontinued a year or so ago when the 24" came out.

As with all Apple products, don't get fixated on price. The 24" ACD is an astounding display that's meant to compliment your MBP perfectly. If you can put up with the glossy screen you'll soon forget about what you paid for it.

Otherwise, Apple may make a matte screen option as there's been considerable demand for one. When? Only Steve knows!

Oh well,
    Keri

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Don't be bothered by Dell's Ultrasharp line. They are arguably one of the best options for monitors. Really good quality and amazing picture. Not to mention Dell actually has really good service for their Ultrasharp line. Even 1 dead/stuck pixel warrants a free replacement, no questions asked, for 3 years.

I had a 2709W, which I just sold in favor of a new LED TV, but that monitor I loved.

4. fs454 macrumors 65816

Seriously, Dell's monitors are tough to beat.

I bought a 2405FPW back in 2005 for $750(24" 1920x1200) and it was incredible for two years, but I began to have some odd burn-in issues where anything left on the screen for ten minutes would "burn in" for hours. I called dell, a full two years after the purchase, and told them of the issue. They overnighted me a new Dell 2407WFP-b for free and a box to ship my 2405 back in. I've been using this ever since. It's not an IPS panel but I am extremely satisfied with it, after what Apple revealed today I'm definitely going Dell again, albeit an IPS panel this time.

Can't beat having four powered USB ports, multicard reader (SD, CF, MMC, XD, etc. everything.), and every input I'd ever need all in one monitor. The fact that Apple's displays are now all glossy and only have a mini displayport of all things kills the deal for me.

It's a bit annoying that Dell's monitors aren't LED backlit yet, but i've seen their new 27-incher in person and it is beautiful. Definitely check Dell out if you value having actual inputs and matte screen.

5. Astral Cars thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the thoughts, keep 'em coming!

The lack of LED backlight on the Dell U2410 mainly just means it doesn't immediately pop to full brightness, right? Or are there other issues as well? Does it sacrifice some degree of clarity or color reproduction? I would have to get a cable that goes from Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort, right? CF card reader built in?

Can the old 23" ACD really compete with something like the U2410?

Now that the 24" ACD is officially discontinued, do you think that will change my ability to get it, or more importantly the price it's available at through non-Apple Store retailers?

6. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Hello

CCFL backlights go full bright pretty quickly but need a little time to warm up for best color output.

LED backlights generally don't need as much time.

Yes, a good, clean used 23"ACD can compete for color correctness. The 20", 23" and (still available) 30" ACD are some of the very few monitors that have met SWOP certification standards. They're also amongst the least expensive!

http://www.swop.org/certification/monitorList.asp

If what you want is color accuracy for Photoshop, etc., forget about any "less-expensive than an ACD" display.

This is probably why Apple still produces the "ancient" 30"ACD. Color accuracy for design professionals.

Keri