Choosing a HDTV for under $1200

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Antimatter, May 9, 2008.

1. Antimatter macrumors regular

I'm looking to buy a new TV for College. I really want a nice 37" but I'm also looking at 40". Anyone have any suggestions? I need it to be 1080p. I've been looking at the Toshiba Regza 37"
    And I also really like Samsungs. If you have any experience with these TVs let me know.

Thanks!

2. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Toshiba Regza's are pretty solid. As for Samsungs, Pannys and Sonys, you probably won't find many under $1200 at that size and resolution... but Samsung makes a 37" 1080p at $1300 last I checked?

If you push it up to $1400 maybe you'll have a wider selection?

Stay away from the off-brands. Some of them look tempting, but have a terrible track record.

EDIT:

Looks like there is a Samsung 37", Sony 40" and Toshiba 42" in your price range, if you don't mind ordering online.

Crutchfield

3. alecmcmahon macrumors regular

alot of people knock the off brands, but personally i dont mind.

i just picked up a 47" olevia tv. 1080p, looks great. no problems so far.

and i only paid 1237 after taxes and 3 year warranty

4. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I have one of these, and it has been nothing but great. Bought mine from newegg with a rebate, so the total came in just under$1000 (even with 3-day shipping). Had it since last July and it's still like new. Definitely hook up your own speakers though. THe built in ones are horrible.

As said above, the 'off' brands are not that different. The top specs will be slightly less, but will still be pretty good unless you nit-pick about it. This is mainly because their are only a handful of suppliers of LCD screens etc.

[​IMG]

5. Antimatter thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies so far!

I'm definitely going to buy either Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, or Panisonic. I don't want to deal with anything else. I can go higher than $1200, just around that price is what I'm looking for.

I really love Samsung, but I purchased a 22" monitor for my MacBook from Samsung and the backlight bleed is really bad! But then again my sister has a 40 inch Samsung TV and it looks amazing. I've been looking at the Sony XBR series, more expensive, but great picture. I really want a 120Hz refresh rate, but is it worth it over 60Hz? I remember watching on my sister's TV with a 60Hz refresh rate and when the images moved quickly it definitely became a little blurry. But does 120Hz fix that enough to warrant the extra money?

Thanks!