Choosing a new car

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MegamanX, May 20, 2013.

1. MegamanX macrumors regular

Ok so I have been put in a position to acclerated my plans on replacing my car by about 5-6months due to the fact that my car requires some repairs and I do not want to pay the $500ish it would cost to repair the leaking power steering system just to keep on driving it for another 4-5 months. Hell the car is 9 years old at this point and I was planning on replacing it.

My problem is picking out the new car. I am torn between multiple cars. The car being replaced is a Sentra SE-R Spec V. I am 6' 4"

I would prefer another manual but those are getting harder and harder to find.
    Budget is around 30k.

I want a car that gets around 30 mpg (give or take). Has some get up and go. It can fit my bike inside it very easily.

Right now my list is
    MiniCooper Clubman S
    Accord V6
    Honda CrossOver V6.

I am not sure if I should look at any others or really choose between those.

2. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I would take a close look at the new Ford Fusion or new Dodge Dart

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

How do you want it to fit your bike? On the back, top, or inside? If not inside then you have a ton of choices given the myriad of bike racks available today. For $30k, you have a lot of choices. How about a CR-V?

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Go look at the Subaru Legacy. Top rated in reliability and crash tests. They're pretty quick and the interior when they're fully loaded with leather is just as nice as you would find in most "Luxury" cars. You can get them in the mid-$20s. The new Forester and XV are also both quite nice and are both crossover SUVs that would give you more room in the back for a bike.

The new '13 Accords are really nice too.

5. MegamanX thread starter macrumors regular

inside the car. I plan on putting a hitch mount on the car at some point or use my roof rack after I get the new parts to fit what ever I get next.

Reason for inside the car is so I can lock it up while I am at work for days where I leave work from work to go ride.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

7. Rossatron macrumors 6502a

in that case im not sure the mini is right for you. the accord should be better in that respect. the crossover probably has the biggest trunk, but drinks more fuel

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

A buddy back home just bought a mini and stuck his road bike in it just fine, laying down. The seats had to be folded down of course. If the Element had enough zip I would say you should look at that. What about a Scion xB?

9. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Suabru Outback would work as well. Cargo space is MUCH more useful than on the CrossTour. Subaru also sells bike racks (rebranded Yakima parts) for the roof of the OB. If you want a stick you need to get the base model and probably need to order it. The Premium comes with the CVT in the 2.5L model, it's actually a really nice transmission, gives you 30 MPG in a fairly large vehicle.

The Outback is a lifted wagon version of the Legacy, the reliability and crash testing reports should carry over.

The Element isn't an option if the OP is looking for a new vehicle, they don't make them anymore.

Attached Files:

10. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

If your not completely opposed to an American vehicle I'd take a look at the new Ford Escape. The EcoBoost 4 cylinders have power like a V6, but economy like a 4. I would think it would compare well with the CrossTour.
    [​IMG]

11. puma1552 macrumors 601

if you want it in the vehicle, youll be limited to hatchbacks/suvs.

take a look at a GTI or a Tiguan SE, or as mentioned an Escape or possibly a focus hatch.

12. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

If you have a wide range of cars you want, maybe try to find additional qualifications? For instance, the CR-V and the Accord are night and day when considering performance (the CR-V won't have as much get up and go, necessarily because it's bigger). You can't go wrong with any of your choices, really.