Choosing a portable powerhorse :]

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jive, Jun 22, 2009.

1. jive macrumors 6502a

Is it better for me to choose a 13" 2.26Ghz MBP with a 128Gb SSID or a 13" 2.54Ghz with 250Gb "normal" HD?

I'm going to buy an external screen in the future so screen estate isn't important to me but is it better to have a faster processor and a normal hd or a slower processor and SSID?

Which ever configuration it's going to have 4Gb of RAM. I use a lot of Photoshop etc but have recently moved slightly into After Effects + other video stuff. HD space isn't really a factor, it's ll about externals for storage imo.

Thoughts welcome.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Definitely 2.26, you won't notice the CPU bump. SSD will speed up your system a lot.

3. martynmc7 macrumors regular

If speed is your main concern, and not HD storage, definitely the SSD.

4. frozenlead macrumors newbie

If you're going to store your data (meaning the files you work on) on an external hard disk anyway, the SSD will be almost useless. Let a standard hard disk do the OS work and get a better CPU to number crunch faster. You're going to be limited by whatever bus you use the external disk on, anyway - since it's a Mac, it'll likely be USB, since Apple hasn't got around to using eSATA.

If you're going to store your files on the internal hard disk (with the SSD limited to 128GB, I doubt that) then go for it over the CPU bump. If you could get a higher clockspeed on it, though, that'd be much nicer - more around 2.9.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It depends on your needs, storage or speed. If you don't need a massive amount of storage, and prefer speed, go for the SSD. If your storage requirements are very large, then the larger HDD makes sense. Your call.

Cheers and good luck

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

7. jive thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow