Choosing a profession

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by brendanryder, Jan 30, 2008.

1. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

Ok so heres the deal, i need some help choosing a profession. I have to pick between photography or some sort of Digital & Interactive Media Design work. If you have better things to do thats fine and jit the back button and go spam another thread. If you would like to help me then please continue reading. Thanks.

So heres some background information. Im a 16 year old kid from CanaDUH and i need some help. I love my computers and technology but i also really love photography. I am being forced to make a decision because i can only pursue one of these careers professionally.

i just want to hear from some people about their jobs and what they do and what they like and don't like providing me with pros and cons of each industry. any information is greatly appreciated and helpful. so if you are a photographer or a Digital & Interactive Media Design person (or have a job related that is manly computer work) please share with me some information or tips.

Thank you all so much and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Ok so heres the deal, i need some help choosing a profession. I have to pick between photography or some sort of gDigital & Interactive Media Design work. If you have better things to do thats fine and jit the back button and go spam another thread. If you would like to help me then please continue reading. Thanks.

So heres some background information. Im a 16 year old kid from CanaDUH and i need some help. I love my computers and technology but i also really love photography. I am being forced to make a decision because i can only pursue one of these careers professionally.

i just want to hear from some people about their jobs and what they do and what they like and don't like providing me with pros and cons of each industry. any information is greatly appreciated and helpful. so if you are a photographer or a Digital & Interactive Media Designer (or have a job related that is manly computer work) please share with me some information or tips.

Thank you all so much and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

(if im not allowed to post a the same fourm in two locations please tell me and i will gladly take it down:D)

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You're 16, why do you need to make this decision now?

My advice: just relax. Worry about high school, not your entire life ...that's that college is for!

Whoever's "forcing" you to make a decision is being far from helpful, in my opinion. You're too young to be worrying about your lifelong profession, and even if you make a choice now, there's a very good chance you'll change your mind later.

3. brendanryder thread starter macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

i deffinatly understand where your comming from i am a little "young" but when you think about in grade 12 you choose your profession and i dont have good enough grades to get into universities to take general studies. im not basing my decision on any of this its just information that is going to help me choose in the comming years.

4. shecky Guest

shecky

i want to make this extremely crystal clear: being a good graphic designer has NOTHING TO DO WITH COMPUTER WORK.

do you use a computer every day? yes. does all (or at least most) of your work end up on the computer? yes. must you be at least somewhat proficient in using the computer + software to be an effective graphic designer in the 21st century? basically yes (but not always.)

the point is graphic design is about the computer as much as being a writer is: its a tool you use to get the job done day in and day out. nobody grows up and wants to be a writer because they love working on the computer, they want to be a writer because they have something to say. if you want to get into graphic design because you like using the computer, look for something else because the people who think graphic design is all about knowing adobe CS are the people who make crappy design day in and day out. and there are a lot of them.

having said THAT, take what ericnau says to heart: you are 16. in grade 12 you do not choose your profession, you just choose what college you think you want to go to (and a TON of people transfer after a year or two) and you choose what major you think you like (which tons of people change during school. AND on top of that your major is not neccesarily indicative of your profession. my brother has a degree in english literature from Cornell. you know what he does? he is a VP of finance at Bank of America.)

the only way you will know if you like doing something is to try it. go volunteer at a design firm in town. go ask a photographer if you can assist him/her. get the experiences.

if you have any other ?'s about being a graphic designer and/or design education im happy to tell you what i know.

5. brendanryder thread starter macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

terribly sorry its been a late night. i meant Digital & Interactive Media Design.

"go ask a photographer if you can assist him/her." thats an amazing idea. i will do that. thanks man i really appreciate it

6. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I agree with this. Why do you have to decide right now? This is something that you will, more than likely, change your mind about later. I don't know one college student that hasn't changed their major (myself included). At 16 I wanted to be a lawyer, well not too many years later I've decided that becoming a lawyer isn't for me. My advice: don't worry about it so much, do both for now, having graphic design skills and photography skills will only help you once you've picked a path and even in your professional career (whether its photography or design).

Edit: Just saw the OPs 2nd post.

As for choosing your profession in 12th grade, nothing could be further from the truth, like I said, if I chose my profession in 12th grade I'd still be on track to practicing mergers and acquisitions law (now I'm more on track for tax law, but thats not what I want to do anyway). Heres my advice: look at schools with graphic design and photography programs. If you don't think you'll be able to get in look to see if there are any community/junior college programs in your area that will let you transfer credits earned there to the design/photography programs you like (I know in California it's not terribly difficult). By that time (about age 18-20) your decision might be a little bit clearer. Another thing, go see if you can work for someone in these fields before you decide if it's what you want to pursue (it's the best advice I ever got, thanks Dad, and probably saved me three years of law school and a profession I probably would not have been happy in).

7. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

=)

Hello mate,
    I saw this post and I so had to put aside my AP US History homework (Procrastinator, I know) to reply to this.

I'm 16 years old and a Junior in High School. Over the past year or so I have gone from being extremely passionate about Industrial Design, mainly the car aspect, to architecture, to electronics, and now to Politics.

Now, I'm NOT one of those people who normally flip flops here and there with what they want, but I realized that my mind is still digesting new concepts and possibilities for my future. I think High School is a time for you to learn the core materials (English, Math, and Science here in the states) and dip a little into elective classes that interest you.

Now as for College, you still have a two years for that and I have talked to tons of people who say that they didn't choose their profession until after their freshman or sophomore year of college. Don't sweat it kid. If you don't have your mind made up by the time you go to college, get all the core classes done with in your freshman and sophomore years and leave the fun stuff till the end. I'm sure it'll pay off.

I think the best thing for now is to relax, stay positive, and do well in High School.

Best of Luck.
    :)

8. libertyterran macrumors member

I think you should pick the latter choice and use the money you'll earn from it to embrace the former one. Just my .02 :D.

9. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

well, teacher's here in the US (maybe different in Canada), suggest going to a community college for a year or two and learning new things at a lower cost and then going to a University. I know that in California if you go to a community college for 2 years, they have to accept you into a California College if you want. Most of the time they won't even look at your grades from community college.

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Hardly. You'd be surprised how few people know their profession by the end of high school (or for those who think they know, how few actually stick with it).

First of all, you're in 10th grade? 11th? Either way, there's still time to improve your grades (and yes, you are capable!).

...Or, if you don't get your grades up, that's not the end of the world either. I'm not sure how colleges are in Canada, but here, my advise would be to attend a community or state college. Either can provide a good education, or allow you to transfer to a university after two years.

Honestly, so many people feel pressured to research and choose their professions early, and establish professional connections before they finish high school, and that's great for those who are truly interested, but I don't recommend doing it because of pressure. Either way, I see little proof that they're ahead of the pack by the time they leave college.

11. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Do I know you? Haha, I guess great minds think alike :p

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I couldn't decide between Mechanical Engineering, Photography, or Music coming out of high school. Now about 5 years later, I've majored in all of them for a time. You do NOT have to decide at 16. I'm two weeks away from 23 and I still haven't figured it out.

I do know that I'll be living in a box though. :D

13. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Home sweet home. I've always thought it would be exciting to make a whole box maze that had bigger rooms and such. Like a cardboard box mansion with like 8 rooms and such. Oh, and an extra guest house connected via box tunnel. Oh boy, the sweet memories of being 7.

14. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I like having a hobby to help me escape any work-related stress. If I was a photographer, I'd have to find a new hobby!

15. brendanryder thread starter macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

"had to put aside my AP US History homework (Procrastinator, I know) to reply to this."
    thanks, i put aside by physics 20 homework to post this haha.

"suggest going to a community college for a year or two and learning new things at a lower cost and then going to a University."
    ya i kinda forgot about that but my problem is that regular school is boring and i have no interest in any of my regular courses.

"First of all, you're in 10th grade? 11th?"
    11th.

" many people feel pressured to research and choose their professions early, and establish professional connections before they finish high school, and that's great for those who are truly interested, but I don't recommend doing it because of pressure."
    ya theres defiantly pressure. i had to fill out and do a report in grade 9 about what i wanted to be and all that junk. grade 10 was even worse i has to do a major project about what university i wanted to go to and why.

"I guess great minds think alike"
    everybody on macrumors think alike cus they all.... "think different"? lol

so you just do photography as a hobby? what is your main profession then?

seriously only 0.02? c'mon. you own a mac you should at least be able to give me a nickel?

totally just kidding BTW thanks for your advice

16. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

I had to take a really long survey in the 8th grade to determine what sort of fields would be good for me. The results came back as, judge/lawyer, fireman, policeman, and hairstylist. I guess I'm bound to be a politician with good looking hair. Damn you John Edwards and your charming hair. :p

Hehe, you speak the truth. Don't let anyone else know though ;)

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Pursue what interests you more.

You will have more fun and do a better job.

18. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

At 16 I was chasing girls and trying to get hold of booze. I had a vague idea that I'd join the army as a cadet, or maybe be a pilot. Instead, I went to college and became an economist, and after 10 years working in the government, I'm nearly finished my qualification as a barrister with the intention of becoming a lecturer in law/politics.

The point of this is that you never know what you will be doing in the future. Don't commit yourself too young to only one career path to the exclusion of others - you may find the gloss fades, and you want to change. If there's something you love doing like photography, by all means follow it, but also develop good general skills, especially study techniques - they make you more flexible.

19. Keebler macrumors 68030

take your time. work with a photographer to get a feel for that world and do the same for the design work. it's good to have a goal in mind, but take your time to finalize it. i can guarantee you that there are not many ppl on this board who are actually doing what they wanted to when they were in high school. just the way life is.

btw, it's not CanaDUH. It's proudly " Canada ". Some ppl make fun of us laid back Canucks, but frankly put, our country is the envy of many out there :)

cheerios,
    Keebler

20. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

CANUCKS?!
    that's amazing.
    I shall use that forever more

and yes,
    I envy your maple syrup.
    :D

21. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

As a photographer, I'll say photography

BUT....

It's a hard profession in ways. It's hard to break into the biz because it is saturated. As stated above the best thing to do is go and meet some photographers in your area and see what they do. Also the price of equipment, man, it's just out there. A decent camera body is around $2000-5000! Lights are the same way. And lenses, for the good ones - $$$$.

I love photography, I have since i was 15 years old. I'm 23 and I am now only starting to make any decent money at it. I went to school for four years for art and photography but I can't complain because I love what I do.

I'm currently in the process of moving to California from Ohio just to be in an area that has more of a need for photographers. In Ohio there are about 10-20 job postings a month. In California there are about 10-20 job postings a day.

Just remember, go into what you want. You can ask everyone under the sun what you want to do in your life. After I got out of high school I started studying to be a physician because my parents wanted me to. I got so fed up and ticked off that I finally dropped out because it wasn't what I wanted to do. It was only after I met my girl that she "pushed" me into photography because she saw how much talented I had for it. That's when I started studying art then transferred to a photography school.

Good luck.

~Crawn

22. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

And even then, you may not know what you want to do when you graduate from college.

Me? I always had this vague notion that I'd like to write or teach, but it took me years to figure it out. And here I am at 24 looking into--surprise!--a writing career. :p In other words, you could end up in a field you wanted to get into since you were ten, or life can take you in another direction completely. Take it as it comes, and find something you love to do.

EDIT: To address the OP's second post, my brother graduated from high school planning to get into medicine. He is on track to graduate in June with a degree in Environmental Policy. Your goal in 12th grade should be getting into a good college or university, yes. But you most certainly do not need to know what you want to do for a career yet.

23. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I didn't read the whole thread, and I also wonder why the OP wants to make a decision at such a young age. That said, I teach 11th graders, and believe me, they would be a lot better off if they had chosen a profession a long time ago! Most are apathetic, and would be better off directed towards a business area curriculum with math/English/science, etc., basics that will help them later in life. If you are successful in your area, you can always educate yourself later in life for new and different areas of expertise.