Choosing a rMBP?(photographer/videographer)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KRosenkrands, Sep 12, 2013.

  1. KRosenkrands macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2013
    Location:
    Denmark
    #1
    I know the obvious choice would be a 15'', but there is something about the 13'' that makes me curious if I need the 15''!

    So i've been thinking about waiting for hashwell release and see what will change about the two Macs, then go for a new 13'' high end with the best processor available or go and buy the current 15'' 2,7ghz from amazon(.co.uk) and get a good deal!

    I also know that we can only guess what will happen at the hashwell release (maybe and all new design, or a delayed release maybe Q1 2014:mad:)

    But what is your opinion! Will I get sick and tired when editing 5d mkii footage on the 13'' dual core processor without a dedicated graphics card?

    Bear with me as this is my first post in this forum (and my English is not the best as I'm from Scandinavia)
     
  2. Miguel Cunha macrumors 6502

    Miguel Cunha

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2012
    Location:
    Braga, Portugal
    #2
    Don't worry, you're English is fine!

    My advice is to wait for the Haswell rMBP to be released, unless you have to make an urgent decision.
    This model will be obsolete soon, and Haswell will save you power, specially on the 13" model, assuming that it will remain only with the Intel GPU.

    I can't stress enough the need for a discreet GPU for very processing intensive tasks like video editing.
    Believe me, I've been doing it for 17 years.
    The dGPU will expand your processing power and make transcoding and exporting faster, amongst other things.
    So, 15" rMBP is my recommendation.

    It will take much more time editing, render effects, export, and so on, with a dual core CPU and HD real time playback may stutter, I've been there myself.

    The best deal is never to buy a machine that's about to be discontinued, even with a discount.
    There will be new CPUs, hopefully new GPUs and maybe other things that will make the new models worth the wait (Haswell by itself makes the wait worth).

    If I were you, I would wait.

    Stick with MacRumors for updates and check the Buyer's Guide tab on top of the page, to have an idea of average and overdue updates times.
     
  3. KRosenkrands thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2013
    Location:
    Denmark
    #3
    But what is you're suggestion for me if I were to buy the current rMBP from amazon after the hashwell release, so i in that could get quad core and same some money! Is that a ridiculous idea(bear in mind that taxes are mind blowing in Denmark:mad::mad:) I really want a computer that will last for a long time, but paying 4000 USD(20000 DKR:eek:) isn't possible for me, unfortunately

    And maybe it isn't possible to say anything till' after the hashwell release?
     

Share This Page