Choosing a tablet...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MarioKartMaster, Jun 20, 2012.

1. MarioKartMaster macrumors newbie

So, I've been thinking about getting a tablet lately and am not entirely sure as to which would be the best. I already have an iPod touch 4th generation, so the iPad does sort of have a limited appeal to me; however, I have not completely eliminated it as a possibility. For the most part, I would use the tablet for basic internet browsing, YouTube, and taking notes in class when school rolls around. Everything else is really a plus although speed and battery life are quite important.

Anyway, as far as Android tablets go, I have narrowed it down to these two options:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1")
    Asus Transformer TF300T

If you are able to help me swing me one way on one of these choices, or have other recommendations, share your thoughts!

Just keep in mind that I would prefer to keep this purchase around the $400 mark, $500 MAX.

Also, I plan on purchasing this within the next month so the Windows "Surface" will not be a possibility, unfortunately. :(

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

This is a Mac forum. Apple only makes one tablet. So... I would recommend the iPad :)

I owned the Asus Transformer Prime TF201, and even though there is a lot to like about it (Ice Cream Sandwich), the iPad 3 is far superior. It isn't even worth comparing the two.

With the retina display, the iPad is the best reading device in the world. Scan your textbooks, put them on the iPad, and stop carrying a backpack. The other tablets lack the display quality and the apps to make this enjoyable. Sorry.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I have a GT2 10", and it is quite nice. I installed a different launcher, as TouchWiz can be a little laggy, but Apex fixed that. The battery life is quite good too.

4. SiriusFlash macrumors newbie

I have a TF300 and it works great for what I need it to do. I will surf the web a little, but I mainly use it for games and streaming content. I really like that it has an expandable memory slot too (although I am pretty sure the Galaxy Tab 2 has one as well). The reason I choose the TF300 over the Galaxy Tab 2 was because it has the Tegra 3 processor and it was slightly cheaper. I don't know if my two cents will help, but there ya go!