Choosing A Warhammer 40K Army

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MadDoc, Sep 29, 2007.

?

Which Warhammer 40K Army Do You Collect?

1. Eldar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Tau

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Space Marines

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Orks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Chaos

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. Necrons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Imperial Guard

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  8. Tyranids

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. MadDoc macrumors 6502

MadDoc

I used to be into Warhammer 40K (a war-game involving miniatures) several years ago but haven't played for a long time. I have just moved to Oz and am looking to take up the hobby again but I can't decided which army to collect this time around so I am looking to see what ones are popular amongst us Mac fans :)

I'm currently leaning towards Tau.

MadDoc,

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I don't see a choice for "what the heck are you talking about," so I'll just play it cool and pretend I'm one of you guys...

3. witchking macrumors newbie

armies...

The army you choose depends somewhat on what fighting style you would like to use. I collect Tyranids (which I marked in your poll) and Eldar. I build and play my Tyranids as a close combat army. They are amazing once they get up to the enemy. The problem is that sometimes it can be hard to get there (i.e. you're playing against Imperial Guard with sniper abilities). In most games, Hormagaunts can make it all the way up to the enemy line within the 2nd turn...sometimes the 1st. The trick I use is to let the enemy move first if you get to choose (or hope they move first if they pick...). The thing I don't necessarily like about Tyranids is the Synapse rule. Unless you buy quite a few Synapse creatures (Hive Tyrant, Warriors, etc.) it can be hard to keep the Gaunts up to the enemy. They always need a Synapse creature within 12" or they fall back easily. I build and play my Eldar as more of a range-fighting army. They also have awesome Psyker abilities which can come in handy...especially Mind War. I say, if you're not sure, research each army a little and see which one you find the most appealling (sic?) but also consider what fighting strategies each army has available. I haven't played against the Tau but a friend of mine said that it really sucks to fight against them...so maybe that's a good pick :)

4. chain-blade macrumors newbie

same here

I'm currently in the same position as you, i stopped playing a while back and would like to get back into it, now i'm stuck between 3 different armies to my liking, these are:
    The Tau
    The Necrons
    or The Tyranids

my old army where the black templar space marines, they had some good armor properties and could shoot the heck out of stuff from a distance if they had to.

the main questions i want to ask are:
    do the tau have any good close combat squads?
    same question with the necrons
    and do the tyranids have any good ranged squads?

chain-blade

5. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

having been an 'oldskool' marines fan since the pointy helmet days (I still have my first ed rulebook) I always say go with Marines (poss with a few Imp Guard as canon fodder).

I too am getting back in the scene when I arrive in malta (dunno if my eyes can handle the painting anymore tho :( )

6. ¿IdontGive? macrumors newbie

Dont Go Tau!

You dont want to go tau trust me I used to be a tau collector and the friggen space wolves wooped my ass! So I went Blood angels and litterally PWNED the taus in like 20 secs! Massive ownage.
    Trust me... Dont go Tau ;)

7. vorbb macrumors member

I'm actually in the exact same position, except original Warhammer. Getting back in to it after not playing for roughly 7-8 years.

8. alex.purple.mac macrumors member

I haven't played for about 3/4 years. Went into a store the day before yesterday and literally fell in love again. It's something I'd love to get back into, and I know one day I will, but I know I'm just too busy at the moment. Add to that I'm a poor student so I won't be gaming for a while.

My advice to you... stay away from Tau for 40K. Go for Space Marines or Chaos Marines as they're both strong armies with plenty of opportunities for customising and creating your own "factions" or race.

Or do what I did and get bitten by the bug from nearly every unit, collect a bit of everything and end up finishing nothing :(

9. clientsiman macrumors 6502

clientsiman

I always loved the Imperial Guard. The Commissars are the coolest units in the game!