Choosing an airport extreme

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by bcemail, Oct 3, 2016.

1. bcemail macrumors newbie

about to get a modem and router to replace the Comcast supplied combo. I mainly use Wi-Fi just for Dorking around on my iPhone(same with my wife). TV Xbox etc are wired. Would the 5 the gen extreme be powerful enough? It's pretty cheap and gets n speed vs the 6th gen that gets ac speed. Not sure I would use anywhere close to those speeds.
    How do the ranges compare? I have one express to use as an extender. My current Comcast one is only 2.4 GHz and mostly covers the house. Thanks!

2. bcemail thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Cordorb macrumors member

the 5 GHz side will be faster :
    Will help too if you rename the 2.4 and 5.0 sides with different names

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

Two additional thoughts, agreeing totally with Cordorb.

First, as a Comcast sub, I had much better network performance after putting any wireless/wired router on a different DNS range than the Comcast cable modem (we're Netgear CM500 units, but the make/model doesn't matter) - no more timeouts or outages (I have a lengthy post to that effect elsewhere in these Forums). Second, buy the refurbished AE from Apple via refurb.me - you'll knock off US$70 and won't miss a beat.