choosing an ereader for my dad

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by paolo-, Oct 16, 2010.

1. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Hi, so I decided I want to get my dad an ereader. He's an avid reader but I know a lot of times he doesn't read certain books because he can't find them at the library or doesn't want to make the trip to the book store. He's self-proclaimed geek and technophobe. Eg: He designs high security networks yet his home computer is an old laptop still running IE6... So I know this is something he would use a lot, but only if it's super easy to use.

He's not one who would want tons of features. As long as it's easy for him to get books on the device from home,preferably through wifi or a really straightforward computer software.

I've been comparing the kobo to the kindle. I don't think he would use the keyboard on the kindle so I think that's a bit of a plus for the kobo since it's a bit smaller. But apparently the kobo software is a bit shaky.

So I'd like your advice, what do you think would fit the bill? I want something that's much more about the reading experience and ease of use than the features. Oh and I'm in Canada if that changes something with some of the services.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Personally, I chose the Kindle and I love it. :)

It's extremely easy to use, and the software takes care of itself. Updates are all completed in the background automatically, and book purchasing and reading couldn't get any simpler. At times I find myself wishing for just a little more control, but at the same time I recognize that the lack of "fluff" is one of the Kindle's largest assets and would only interfere with the reading experience, and that's really what the Kindle is all about.

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The wifi Kindle is really pretty simple to use for ereading, and Amazon's ebook store is pretty thorough when it comes to titles (a handful of major books, like Harry Potter, are absent though).

I think the interface is pretty easy to use, and the keyboard is really only used when you need to search for a title or enter a wifi password. Otherwise the Kindle is pretty well organized. The up/down/left/right keypad is a bit small so if he has big fingers, he might get annoyed. If he likes touch screens, some ereaders have them (like the Nook or some of Sony's models), but I don't know if those companies do the free conversion of documents or maintain an online sync like Amazon. I'm sure they have something, but look into those things too, because it is important.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use a Kindle. I haven't use my keyboard either, because I always have my Mac with me and I find it a lot easier to navigate the bookstore on my computer than the Kindle.

I have old Sprint model which I don't think is much different from the newer models.

5. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

I personally love my iPad, but hey.... That's just me :)

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have an iPad and my wife has a wifi Kindle. I love my iPad but if all I wanted to do was read, the Kindle would do just fine. If you're getting a Kindle, why not spend a little more to get the 3G model so your technophobe isn't faced with joining wireless networks to get updates or sync their bookmarks with other devices. They can read Kindle content on the Kindle as well as on most handheld devices and computers and if they decide to get an iPad later they can just keep on reading with the Kindle app on the iPad.

For reading without giving any thought to wifi settings, etc, 3G Kindle is the way to go.

7. ebooksforipad macrumors newbie

for a book geek, kindle is good, but if your father is techno geek too, iPad is a perfect Choice..

8. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

e-Ink is the way to go.

I may own an iPad, but I'm not afraid to admit the Kindle simply beats it in terms of pure reading.

9. CaptMatt12 macrumors newbie

e-ink: Kindle is best.

When I got my iPad I gave my Kindle to my wife. Now I'm asking for a Kindle for Christmas because I'm always trying to borrow her Kindle. (The ipad is no kindle killer! One of the big drawbacks to the ipad is that you can't follow text with your finger--the page keeps sliding around.)

I had a Sony ereader. I like its form factor better than the Kindle, but the Kindle store beats the Sony store by a lot. The Kindle store is much easier to use.

The 3g is best for a technophobe because it is always there, no set up required.

10. urkel macrumors 68030

Reading books is one of the big excuses I made for buying an iPad, but to be honest then now I'm reading books even LESS. The problem? The iPad actually does TOO MUCH. :)

So many times I'll start a book, but then I'll get an email notification. I open an email which leads me to a web link, then I read headlines on RSS, then check FB/Twitter, then see an app update for a game, and before I know it 5hrs have passed and I still havent finished Chapter One.

I absolutely love my iPad, but I really wish I had a Kindle also because I enjoy getting immersed in a good book and the iPad (along with my inability to focus) makes it too easy to get distracted with internet nonsense.

(BTW, I did try a friends kindle. The new one is so small and convenient. I really think Jobs is wrong by saying 10" is ideal because I never carry around my iPad because it's too big. But I would carry around a smaller 7" iPad for on-the-go reading etc)

11. clientsiman macrumors 6502

clientsiman

12. ski2moro macrumors 6502

Thanks for posting this. I am in the market for an ereader right now.

What about Nook?

13. urkel macrumors 68030

I find the Nook library to be too limited. The benefit of the nook though is that BN is trying so hard that they constantly give promos and discounts.

The iPad does score a point here because Nook and Kindle offer access to ONE library but the iPad gives you iBooks, Nook AND Kindle books. But a problem I have with Apple nowadays is that they've become so trendy and seasonal that they pay a ton of attention to a product for a week then forget about it for 9months. Amazon seems so set on dominating this market that they've gathered the best library and are competing with worthwhile hardware updates.
    So in the long run that's where I'd want to consolidate my book purchases.

14. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Good idea on the 3G. Personally, I have the Kindle 2 with only 3g. However, I like the Kindle 3's smaller size and wifi would be great. Unfortunately, the Kindle 2's resale value has decreased considerably. If I can get enough to get the new Kindle, I'll be fine; I just won't think about how much more I paid for the 2nd generation.;)

So true, especially outdoors!