Choosing an External Drive.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Joshh1, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Joshh1 macrumors regular

Joshh1

Hi guys,
    Not sure if this is the correct forum to post in so bear with me. ::rolleyes:

I have a G4 cube and I'm looking for an External drive to back up everything from the cube and store media, Really want a firewire drive seeing as the Cube has USB 1.1.

Any suggestions? I don't need anything huge a 100gb or so would be great, looking to spend around $90 to $100

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. jesusfreak55 macrumors member

shop around for some western digital my books, i found them on costco and bought two 500 GB fire wire ones 4 just under $100

4. Jozone macrumors 6502

If you have any spare pata based hard drives I've noticed OWC (macsales.com) is starting to lower the price of enclosures those across the board.

5. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

I was never too keen on LaCie drives in the past, but I tried one of their newer 500gb Hard Discs recently (the one with the heatsink panels on the sides) and it really is excellent. Every possible connection, fast and as close to silent as I've encountered with an external. Top class fit and finish too, better than their previous drives and also better, in my opinion, than the good-looking G-Drive equivalent. That they've increased their warranty to THREE years on these suggests some added confidence in the drives on their part.
    I now have four of them, one for Time Machine, two for my music and audio editing, and one for general use. Couldn't be more satisfied with them.

6. Joshh1 thread starter macrumors regular

Joshh1

Thanks everyone.

I will look into a WD My Book, also the lacie drives. :)