Choosing an external LCD display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chakramspice, Mar 12, 2008.

1. chakramspice macrumors newbie

Hi guys!
    There's really great advice in here about external displays which I've taken to heart, and I've learned a lot about what I'm looking for. I'm hoping you guys could help me narrow down my options with my chosen specs.
    I'm running a regular white 13" MacBook, and I'm looking to also replace my old nasty TV, and I'm looking for longevity here. I'm thinking of also getting a PS3 for Blu Ray, so I'm lookin into HD. I'm not really into fancy gaming or design (don't let the PS3 fool you), so I'm looking for a display good for standard Mac programs and Blu Ray movies. So based on excellent advice so far, this is what what I'm looking for:

24" widescreen lcd, max 1920 X 1200 resolution, 1080p, hdcp/hdmi compatible, *not* TN.

I know Dell and HP brands have been recommended pretty highly on here. But trying to narrow down the specific models is making my head spin! And shockingly, it doesn't appear that Apple Cinema is HDCP compatible? I'm not in any rush to buy if there's amazingness on the horizon, and I'm willing to go used. I'm hoping something fits my specs for around 500 or less, but I'm much more concerned about longevity and a solid TV/monitor replacement than exact price.

Thanks guys! I appreciate your help as always. :)

2. cbw87 macrumors member

I've done quite a bit of research into this for my own needs; I think, if you want a decent quality panel (i.e. not TN: S-PVA/MVA or S-IPS) that the Dell 2408WFP, ACD 23" and possibly some Samsung models are the way to go.

However if you're a gamer, TN panels may actually be preferable, since they generally have faster response times. The downsides to TN panels lie in colour accuracy and viewing angles, amongst, i think, other things (I'm no panel expert).

As far as inputs go, the new Dell 2408WFP has everything you'll need for the moment, DVI x 2 and HDMI, HDCP compatible, as well as a load of older input options. This is why Apple needs to update their ACDs. Although they can still compete on panel quality, their lack of inputs and premium price make them look poor next to the competition, although the design is beautiful. Non-height adjustability of stands certainly doesn't help them, either. I'd expect a redesigned ACD this year, but then we've expected them for a while now. Maybe Apple doesn't care any more. Maybe they're waiting for LED backlighting to be viable for them.

In short, if you care about panel quality and inputs, get that Dell, unless you're a colour critical pro, in which case consider NEC or Eizo.

Been happy with my 2007WFP, its only fault is that it doesn't look like an ACD :(

3. chakramspice thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input! I ended up getting an HP w2408h, which looks fabulous and was a steal for under 500 at amazon.com. And now, on to other accessories... :)