Choosing an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by exterminator, Sep 12, 2015.

1. exterminator macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I need advice to get a new phone. At the moment I have just moved into another country (Netherlands) to resume my studies and as you can understand, I am tight on budget. And I desperately need a new phone since my trusty iPhone 4 is not good anymore for my needs.

Since I will be studying here for 2 years I thought it would be more reasonable to do a contract and get myself a device with it. Such device will have to give me atleast 3-4 years of good service. Exactly what the ip4 did so well!

However I am not sure for which device I should go to.
    I thought I should go straight for the 6S but if I calculated correctly, even under contract it will cost me almost 700 euro (Almost $800) whereas if I go for the previous generation model, I can get it around 100 euro cheaper. A friend of mine also told me that the 5S is still a very good device and should be able to withstand future iOS releases and updates. Although I'm not entirely convinced about this.

The only thing im certain of is that I have no intention to get a 16gb model.

So I'm a bit undecided as I want to get the best option possible not only from a budget point of view, but also from an 'investment' point of view (When i say that the device has to give me around 3-4 years)

Any opinions? (P.S. if you have any experience with Dutch Operators, please share which you think are the best and those to avoid!)

Thank you all!! :)

2. t0dd macrumors newbie

I think if you are upgrading from iPhone 4, both 6 and 5s will be more than enough.

they both have 64bit processor, touch id, very capable camera etc.

5s 64 gb would be the best for you if you are really tight on budget and don't want a 4.7" screen.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

^^^That's what I was going to suggest.

The 5s is still very capable and it will be much cheaper than the other two.

4. exterminator thread starter macrumors regular

FYI, I think the 5S is no longer available at 64gb. also, its around 430 Euro/480$ for a 32gb choice. the prices i mentioned above were for a ip6/64gb. Tmobile.

5. doublex14 macrumors regular

doublex14

I recommend the 64GB iPhone 6. It's good as new, without even being "new" 10/10

6. exterminator thread starter macrumors regular

Well. I think that is the choice I am going to make. Even though I am not entirely convinced yet. Because the difference between the 6 and 6S will be around 100/150 Euro i think.

Would it be better to get the latest despite the difference in cost? or is the 6 just as good, considering my budget constraints?

Thats my main issue.

7. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

I'd go with the latest if you can afford it. The iPhone 6S has substantial upgrades, including but not limited to

• A faster and more capable system on a chip.
    • 2 gigabytes of faster LPDDR4 memory, up from 1 gigabyte of slower LPDDR3 in the iPhone 6.
    • Use of Qualcomm's MDM9x35 modem, which supports double the download speeds of the prior-generation MDM9x25 used in the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
    • The inclusion of Force Touch.
    • A 12-megapixel rear-facing camera and a 5-megapixel front-facing camera.
    • Improved Touch ID.
    • 7000 series aluminum alloy construction with more robust internal bracing for added strength. This is the same alloy used for the Apple Watch Sport
    • New stronger glass screen is said to be near sapphire crystal hardness, resulting in fewer scratches
    Not to mention it will be better future proofed; the 3D touch in particular is a very big deal. Live photos is a novel new feature, and 4K video is a nice add.

It's really up to your budget, but I'd go for the 6S if I were you.

8. exterminator thread starter macrumors regular

Are we even sure its going to be 2Gb of Memory?

The rest, especially the camera and touch id, are not really interesting for me. Anyone has an idea of how much faster is the 6S from the 6?

9. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

There's no way of telling until the phone ships out. If you're planning on keeping the phone for a 2 or more years, you should really consider the 6s 64gb. If you don't care for games on the phone, then the 6 64gb should be more than sufficient. At $649 USD, it's a good deal for an iPhone.

10. exterminator thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I plan to keep it for 3-4 years. I have no interest in reselling it to get the latest one. I'll just buy the latest when im financially stable again (since i moved abroad) and I am most certainly not interested in games on the phone, unless its not graphics intensive like a 2048 to kill the time, an occasional fifa or football manager.

11. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

CPU on the iPhone 6S has been reported as 70% faster. Touch ID is on all iPhones since iPhone 5S

12. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You say you want to keep it for 3-4 years, go with the newest model you can afford at the end of your 3-4 years you'll be wishing you had a newer device.

Also from what I know about European carriers typically the contracts aren't the greatest deal as you can get cheaper plans if you buy your phone outright, I'd check and be sure that you won't be spending more over the course of the contract than you would if you just bought it outright.