Choosing between 2 used 15-inch retinas

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drelton, Jul 3, 2014.

1. drelton, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014

drelton macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,

This weekend I'm gonna buy a 15-inch rMBP. Since I don't live in the States, and hence don't have access to refurbished macs, my only option is to buy used gear.

I've found 2 used late 2013 rMBPs on sale (A and B). I would like to ask your opinion on what would be the best deal according to these facts:

A:
    –6 months of use (79 battery cycles)
    –In very good conditions (tested personally), save for the magsafe socket, which is worn-down.
    –Downside is just 6 months of warranty left
    Price: 1,749 (may be able to get a minor discount from that, 85 at most)

B:
    –2 months of use (cycles unknown)
    –Comes with receipt
    –Haven't checked it personally, though it comes recommended by a technician I trust.
    –10 months of warranty left
    Price: 1,822.

Which one would you choose? Also, should I expect to be able to eventually upgrade the flash drive (OWC still hasn't released drives for this model)?

Thank you!

2. JTravers macrumors 6502a

If you can get A for below 1700, I'd buy that and use the savings to help defray the cost of buying AppleCare.

3. drelton thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Jay, that's good reasoning. Anybody else cares to chime in?

4. thesimplelogic macrumors regular

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

There's no significant difference between the two. Based on that I would go for the cheaper one and use the savings to buy AppleCare.

6. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Do you have any info on the specs of each? Are they the same? That would also be something to consider when choosing.

And, to answer your other question, just click here. If you don't have time to read, OWC should be releasing them around Q3 this year.

7. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

Without knowing the specs of either it's impossible to say. It seems odd to not know the precise amount of battery cycles on such a new laptop too.

8. Hansana macrumors regular

a :)