Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hypeofflyfe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
hi, i am a incoming freshmen in college looking into getting a new macbook. i am currently using a late 2010 macbook air. i am going to be a biology major and not sure which model would work well with whatever i need. i am also looking into possible web design. i am looking at getting the non retina macbook pro 15in but i am not sure how well i would transition from a SSD TO HDD. also i wanted to know is it worth getting the base 15in or the 2.6? is it a good idea that i get a SSD from apple or buy a third party? if so what type of SSD do you guys recommend i just want to make sure that it can last me 3-4 years. i would love to hear all the options because this would be a big investment for me.

uses for my macbook would me

itunes , torrent downloads , photoshop, Lightroom, iMovie, even final cut pro, basic internet browsing , word processing and maybe paralles for windows.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
I'd wait a year or two before I got a new computer. You don't seem to be doing anything too crazy, and your computer is only two years old.

Plus the portability of the MBA is nice in college.

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
I'd wait a year or two before I got a new computer. You don't seem to be doing anything too crazy, and your computer is only two years old.

Plus the portability of the MBA is nice in college.

I agree. Maybe look into getting a nice external HDD or an external monitor.

If you must get a new computer. The base 15" should be more than enough for all 4 years. As far as SSD, a lot of people like the Samsung 830. I'd definitely go third party for the SSD. Apple's prices are outrageous.

MacJones

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Arizona
I just switched from a late 2010 MacBook Air to a late 2011 refurbished 15" MacBook Pro. I'm a graphic design student and do similar tasks from your list. My MacBook air was struggling to control my 27" cinema display and run programs from CS6 or even iPhoto so I decided to sell my computer (got $800 for it) and buy the late 2011 15" for $1359. I'll probably do an SSD in the future because I like the faster boot times.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
I just switched from a late 2010 MacBook Air to a late 2011 refurbished 15" MacBook Pro. I'm a graphic design student and do similar tasks from your list. My MacBook air was struggling to control my 27" cinema display and run programs from CS6 or even iPhoto so I decided to sell my computer (got $800 for it) and buy the late 2011 15" for $1359. I'll probably do an SSD in the future because I like the faster boot times.

If faster boot time is your only reason then dont bother - just keep the mac on and put it to sleep when not in use. Theres no need to shut it down.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I would either get the 2012 MBA 13 or base 15. Nothing beats the portability of the Air when you're traveling from class to class.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.