Choosing between my existing Blk MB 2.4GHz vs New MPB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by harley2g, Jun 17, 2009.

1. harley2g macrumors newbie

Hello there,

I have an existing Black Macbook ( Model Identifier: MacBook4,1) I believe this is the last version of the black before it was changed to a UniBody design.

I am looking at the New MBP and am confused on the processors:

My MB has a Intel Core 2 Duo that is at 2.4 GHz.

The New MBP apper to also have the same processor Intel Core 2 Duo but at two different clock speed one is slower 2.26 and 2.53.

My main motivation for the new machine is really 3 things:
    1. Longer Battery Life
    2. Lighter
    3. Better Video Processor (have 3 iPhoto libraries combing to over 40GB of images.
    4. Just looks cooler

Currently my HD is 250 GB but would plan to goto a 500GB. Keeping my RAM the same at 2GB.

Can anyone please help and comment or help me understand this differences.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and replies!

In Peace,
    -h

2. lucero1148 macrumors member

HI
    I guess you're looking at the 13" MBP? As far as processor goes you won't find a significant difference in speed between 2.26 < 2.4 < 2.53, what's a few seconds? Your video processor is the nVidia 9400 so there's no change in performance that way and video ram will not affect PS work. I would opt for 4GB RAM as there is a significant difference in working with several programs open at the same time.

It does have an SD card reader slot but if you're using a pro camera then you're probably using a CF card so that's a non-issue. One thing I notice is that only the 17" MBP has an express34 card slot. I have a unibody MBP 15" with the nVidea 9600/9400 GT, express 34 card slot and I find it very useful in being able to add peripherals like eSATA external drive, or additional fire 400/800 and USB 2 slots.

hope this helps

3. harley2g thread starter macrumors newbie

lucero1148,

Thanks for the reply. Yes the 13" for sure..

Kind of sounds like I might not notice any performance increase you think at all...

I had thought the new nVidia 9400 card would offer improved video speed for rendering photos over the current intel video chip i have. Perhaps not.

I am not to worried about the express slot and SD card, as i am using CF cards.

Selling my current MB on e-bay and buying the new one, trying to justify if it is worth it and mostly responsible or I should wait another year, maybe next product cycle.

Thanks again for the help!
    h

4. koobcam321 macrumors newbie

i also own a Black Macbook. i feel like nothing can beat the matte finish look of the black apples, even the new aluminums.

but finally decided and buying a new MBP primarily for -
    1. better battery life,
    2. LED screen display,
    3. SD card slot,
    4. backlit keyboard,
    5. better graphics card,
    6. touchpad,
    7. 1066 mhz ddr3 ram etc.
    8. Much much GREENER (i am a sort of 'environment' guy, this is the breakpoint to trade my black beauty for a greener aluminum!)

5. harley2g thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I am going to stick with what I have

Thanks for the reply,

I think I am going to stick with my BLK MB.

The last question I have is the overall increase with the new graphic card? Noticable or not really?

I agree with all you say, just hard to justify it for me....

Thanks again!
    h

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The OP's BlackBook will have the Intel X3100, not the NVIDIA 9400M. Only the February 2009 MacBooks have the NVIDIA graphics. But you're correct in that the GPU will not make a discernible difference in Photoshop performance.

You likely will not notice a huge difference moving from the BlackBook to the aluminium. The benefits are in features, like the better screen, trackpad, backlit keyboard, etc. But performance will be pretty close in what you're doing.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You think that the new aluminium MacBooks look better, and other than that and slightly better battery life, you don't really get much else in return.

If you think that's worth so much money, then go ahead. I don't think those few benefits, one of which is just an aesthetic benefit, really helps you.

If I were you, I'd rather just wait for the next major CPU update in 8 months and get something that will REALLY improve your computing speed rather than just the aesthetics (although I do like the BlackBook, tbh). It's not as though you're stuck with a really bad computer right now. It's certainly not stopping you from editing photos or anything.

8. Jamesbot macrumors member

replacing a perfectly good laptop with one made out of aluminum doesn't really strike me as being particularly "green." It just means that there are 2 laptops now instead of 1.

9. migsev macrumors regular

Do you have a need for a completely new laptop? Save a thousand dollars and get yourself a 500gb HD and 4gb of ram.