iPad Pro Choosing between the Smart Cover and Smart Keyboard for the 12.9.

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by jaybar, Jul 30, 2017.

1. jaybar, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017

jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

if you had to choose between the Smart Keyboard and Smart Cover, which would you select and why?Assume you can only choose one.

2. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Do you have issues typing with the on screen keyboard? Are you going to be writing documents a lot on the go? Are you okay with basically one angle for viewing with the Smart Keyboard? Will you be drawing or anything? I own the keyboard, and while it has been useful, I should have opted for the Smart Cover since I tend to draw more on my iPad and have no issues typing with the on screen keyboard. Plus it's cheaper!

3. kasakka macrumors 68000

I don't have a 12.9 yet but I use a keyboard on an Air 2 and with the 12.9 I plan to buy, I think I will try going with virtual keyboard only because compared to my 9.7" Air2, the 12.9 model can fit a proper full sized keyboard on screen. The ASK adds a lot of weight to an already somewhat hefty device and is pretty overpriced for what it is. I'm on the fence about the Smart Cover because I'm not sure how well it handles the orientation where it's sitting on a table slightly angled for drawing.

4. David58117 macrumors 65816

I went with the leather Smart Cover and sleeve.

Then I bought the Logitech keys to go (which I keep in my bag) and the k380, which is nicer and I use at home.

I like the 12.9 more as a tablet, so good transport/being able to hold it more comfortably suits me more.

I had the keyboard for the first gen, and holding it was pretty awkward. I tended to keep it off and at home.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would choose the ASK over the Smart cover, if I needed a keyboard.

6. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

If I could really only have one, it would be the ASK. But there are times when it gets pretty bulky and I know I won't be typing much, so having both is nice.

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I agree with the previous statements of getting the ASK. But having both is ideal. Get the ASK first and keep an eye out for sales on the smart cover. Just recently, bestbuy.com had them for $5. Yes, $5.

8. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Do what I did and buy both. I got the apple keyboard off ebay for half of the retail price, like new. Then bought the Apple smart cover in leather for 80$ from the Apple store. Spent 160$ and got both for the price of the apple keyboard case alone. Win win!

9. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

And THIS kids... is the way that's it's done. thumpsup.gif

10. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Thanks for all your replies. After living with the ASK for about 10 days, I decided that I might do better with the virtual keyboard.

Given my vision, I find the virtual easier to see what is on the keys.

I am not a touch typist. It is two finger hunt and peck for me. Even with my iMac Magic keyboard.

I realized want to use my IPP as a tablet and not a computer replacement. I have an iMac when I need a computer.

The typing and view angles did not work for me. Neither did the screen placement distance.

The BIGGEST factor was the added weight.

I retuturned it and went with the Smart Cover and leather sleeve.

11. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

If I needed a keyboard, then the ASK. I’d just detach it when I was using as a tablet and didn’t need it.