Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dfine1966

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
I just installed Windows 7 on bootcamp on my new iMac's SSD drive. I know to change you are suppose to press OPTION KEY for the choices coming up. I have the wireless Apple keyboard and Wireless Magic Mouse. I don't know if not communicating with bluetooth during boot causes this problem, or not, but I had to load Bootchamp to at least give me an option to go from MacOS to Windows. I does seem to work when I set Windows as the default boot, but when I switch the default boot to MacOS, it doesn't seem to work at all. Anyone have any other solution to get the OPTION key to work all the time with Bootcamp and MACOS launch at startup and restart?

UPDATE: I just tried my wife USB Apple Keyboard and USB Mouse which I took from her 24 inch iMac and used on my 27 in with Bootcamp, and the Options Key works perfectly fine. It does looks like a bluetooth issue with the wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. How can it get the wireless keyboard to communicate faster on boot?

Last edited:

DonCarlos

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2009
Las Vegas
Hello

If you are having trouble using your wireless keyboard and wireless mouse with windows, you may want to try this tip as well.

While you are in Windows.

1) Switch off the device you want to pair
2) Select "add a device" in the Bluetooth menu
3) Switch on the device (after few second it should get detected by windows)
4) Now, right click on the device and select properties. You should now get a window with the different services.
5) select the HID drivers for keyboard and mice and click OK (this is the important part)
6a) In windows 7 it should setup mouse and keyboard without any additional input.

As for booting back and forth between Mac and Windows. I rarely ever use the "Option" key method. And before using Bootchamp I would switch to Windows by going to System Preferences > Startup Disk and choosing Windows from there. But regardless of any choice, when I shut down my mac it automatically boots into mac on startup, unless I hold down the "option"key as you mentioned.

-To boot to windows, I use BootChamp . Make sure you download the latest version from his site http://www.kainjow.com , and be sure that you uncheck Next Restart Only and leave the check by Launch At Startup, if you want the icon to appear at every restart. It kind of threw me off until I did that.

-To boot back to Mac from Windows, I simply use the Bootcamp icon that is on the lower right toolbar of W7. It looks like a grey diamond.

Keep us updated and Good Luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.