Choosing Discrete or Integrated Graphics At Startup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pianoblack3, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Pianoblack3 macrumors regular

Hello folks, just wanted to ask a quick question. Is it possible to choose between the integrated and discrete graphics before booting into the operating system? I believe my Intel integrated graphic card is fried, so i'd like to switch to my discrete graphics, is there any way to do this?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the HD3000 and HD4000 chipsets directly on the CPU die? The odds of them failing but your CPU still being functional seem somewhat low.

What kind of symptoms are you having?

Have you tried NVRAM and SMC resets? (Have to ask.)

3. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

http://gfx.io/

That program allows you to switch between the two cards, and monitors the usage of both, as well as allowing you to choose to use only the dedicated card. It is pretty nice

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

If you're in the OS, go into system preferences, energy saver, and uncheck the box for automatic graphic switching. The system will then boot with the discreet GPU enabled full time.

But as Asuriyan says, the odds of there something being wrong only with the iGPU are quite small. If the problem is indeed graphics related, there's a greater chance of it actually being the discreet GPU that's at fault.

5. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

But when you restart the box gets checked back automatically.
    I use gfxcardstatus as earlier suggested.