Choosing Headphones with mic..

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by theironist08, Aug 8, 2008.

1. theironist08 macrumors regular

Im looking for a new set of headphones/earbuds/in ear (dont really care as long as they are comfortable). i want to stay this side of €100 (which is around $150 at the moment). I definitely want a mic so i can answer calls, pause, stop, start, skip tracks, something simple.. any suggestions??

ps and ive already checked out the other threads on this topic:p..

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Have you considered a bluetooth headset?

Or if you want to listen to music, you can buy a pair of Shure earphones and then their music phone adapter.

3. theironist08 thread starter macrumors regular

im kinda looking for somethin a bit more simple as i do be walking alot and dont want to have an extra wire... there really doesnt seem to be much of a selection???

4. meglet macrumors member

meglet

I'll post my usual recommendation for the Sennheiser MM 50 iP earbuds. Very comfortable, even for my small ears. The sound is good, much better than the stock iPhone earbuds. The mic works well, no complaints from callers. The play/pause/skip/answer button works correctly with the original iPhone, and the iPhone 3G. The cord is just long enough to put the phone in my pocket without leaving lots of extra cable dangling to catch on chairs, doorknobs, and who knows what else.

Looks like Amazon.UK doesn't carry them, but there is a pair available from a secondary seller: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-High-Fidelity-Ear-Canal-Earphones-iPhone/dp/B0018COTEM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1218253978&sr=8-1. I've also seen reports of folks in the UK buying them directly from an Apple store, although I've never seen them in my Apple store here in Seattle.

I love these headphones, and listen to them every chance I get.

5. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

If you are willing to splurge, go for the Bang And Olufsen Earset 3. They have amazing sound quality, comfortable fit, and a built in mic with great sound on both ends of the call. They are a bit more than you stated (200 USD) but are well worth it in my opinion. They sell them at the Apple store. Hope this helps. :) :cool:

6. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

7. jonnyb macrumors 6502a

Another vote for the B&O Earset 3 here. Yes, they're expensive but they sound beautiful, they're very comfortable, and the controls and mic work perfectly. An ideal complement, design-wise, too.

8. theironist08 thread starter macrumors regular

cool thanks, i found a pair that look comfortable .. the V-Moda Vibe Duo with mic... anyone know anything about these???

9. dlbernau macrumors newbie

Good choice

I have a set of these for my iPhone, and a set of Vibes (not Duo) that I use with my classic and my shuffle.

These are great headphones, very comfortable and great sound. The mic works well, as does the clicker button.

Vmoda also has excellent customer service.

Couple quick tips for you

1. When you get the headphones, plug them in to your music source and let them play overnight. They sound fuzzy and muddy for the first several hours,. After they are burned in they are great.

2. Take your time and find which set of earpieces works best for you, several sizes are included, both clear and black. The color also makes a difference in the sound . Experiment a bit.

Good luck!

10. theironist08 thread starter macrumors regular

11. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

id go with skullcandy full metal jacket for iphone headphones
    very similar to the v moda vibe duos
    and they have a lifetime replacement guarntee
    ive already had mine replaced twice, and i broke them (it wasnt a defect)
    you'll never have to buy headphones again

although if you can go without the mic, i really suggest bose in ear headphones. best ive used, and most comfortable

12. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I got some vmopdas, but earwax got in them and now they are unusable. I don't know how to clean them out :(

13. i0Nic macrumors 65816

I too have had this problem, makes me hesitant to buy another pair of in-ear 'phones. Also, I find them uncomfortable.

Everyone says the Bose in-ear headphones are comfortable, but do they sound good? Would the be alright for in trains, I know they don't fully isolate but do they somewhat isolate, at least more than the apple earbuds?

14. Pandora01 macrumors regular

15. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the sound on my Bose in ears is simply AMAZING. I love them. everything sounds crisp and clean, and if you turn it up during a bass heavy song, you can feel the thump in your ears. i just love that
    in terms of sound isolation, they are better than apples, but they're not complete. you could try using the largest rubber attachments. that would seal your ears off the most, but depending on your ears, might not be as comfortable as one of the smaller ones.
    if your really serious about having sound canceling, and willing to spend the money (if your on the train or an airplane often than its worth it) get Bose quietcomfort headphones. i have a pair of these as well, and they isolate all the noise (for the most part) making loud engines sound like a quiet humming in the background.

16. Clyde099 macrumors regular

I own both the vibe and vibe duo and although I've had two replacements of the duo, I like them. They're not the best, but they're good enough.
    They have great customer service in case your set fails on you (or what have you). I do find myself wondering if one earbud is 'louder' than the other from time to time -maybe it's my ears.

I also find myself looking for a better headset. Hence, the reason why I decided to read this thread in the first place.

Good luck!

17. climber14 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I got the Bang & Olufsen Earset 3. Very nice albeit very expensive. Could have bought my wife (if I could find one) a 3g 8 gig iPhone for the same price. They are very comfortable and highly adjustable. Love the behind-the-neck feature and answer call / skip to next track / pause button is quite convenient. Amazing audio quality for music and people tell me they hear me very clearly when using phone.

J

18. Jocko macrumors member

Wow it is so weird every time I hear someone say the Vibe Duos sound good. Makes me wonder if there are some plants around here. They have horrible sound quality. My $40 Sony's that I used with my iPod before I got an iPhone blew them away. The sound quality that the Vibe's give for $100 is honestly a joke. That and you will find many threads around here about how often they break on people.

I used them for like, I dunno, maybe 9 months but have since replaced them with the NuForce NE-7M, which put them to shame big time. I'd recommend the NuForce buds, except that will mean you have to wait for a few weeks. They were initially selling them in more limited numbers for $80, but have since decided to retool their production for significantly higher quantities and with a new price point of $50.

Just please don't waste your money on the Vibe Duos. That company is such a joke. I mean come on they sign their customer service emails with "Rock On." If anything at least go with some UltimateBuds that will actually sound good.

19. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

I recently reviewed a set of Sennheiser MM50iP earphones. They look really smart, have an inline mic and the sound was pretty darn awesome. Hope this helps, but I can recommend them.