Choosing My First Light Kit - Help!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by polar-blair, Nov 10, 2008.

1. polar-blair macrumors regular

Hello

I have previously posted asking about getting a good HDV camcorder, Now I have also gone and got a Rode Mic, What I need now are some lights.

Ive found a UK website that sells backdrops, lights ect... Im also needing a Green Screen for some visual effects to.

This package seems perfect but Im not sure how good the quality of the kit will be. So if anyone has any advice or comments that would be great.

heres a link to the website

http://www.backdropsource.co.uk/Pro...ckdrop-with-support-system-and-boom-light-kit

Thanks for any help. :)

2. polar-blair thread starter macrumors regular

3. iJED DV macrumors member

iJED DV

What kind of productions will you be doing?

The cost seems extremely low for a complete lighting kit with green screen. I'd be leery if I were you. Check out sites like B&H Photo/Video or other such pro video store websites to give you a kind of price comparison.

4. b-a-g macrumors newbie

name brands

check out this page:

http://www.lightsonretail.com/lighting/

The brands they sell are all the main industry standard name brands.
    Mole are Arri are probably most popular and best built, with Lowel being a more affordable 3rd. The Kino Flos are what people use for fluorescent lighting solutions, and the LitePanels are the main LED brand.

Those lights on that other site look pretty cheap and flimsy.

5. polar-blair thread starter macrumors regular

I am planning to do some short films with me doing the Camera work and post production, and my friend doing the script writing directing ect...

We are going to do some fake movie trailers to start then hopefully do some semi feature length (I dont know if they have a name but about an hour long) films eventually.

Im not looking for broadcasting or hollywood standard lights. Just enough light to get a good quality picture, then if need be some colour correction in Premiere Pro.

Those lights suggested look really good, but are very expensive and also they are American sites. Im having real trouble finding a reliable seller based in the UK, I guess its not such a big consumer market.

I really cant stretch any further than £350 on lights.

How many will I need? will 2-3 be enough?

6. Richardthe4th macrumors regular

Hi,

We have used dedolights. Nice, small lights. I don't know if your budget will do, try second hand (if available)

Good luck.

7. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

There are loads of reputable professional video equipment suppliers in the UK. Trouble is £350 won't get you anything professional. Well-maintained second-hand video equipment isn't especially cheap either, as there isn't a regularly changing or massively competitive market driving prices down.

I don't know what to suggest for £350. You may be better buying some work lights, some black sheets, some bounce cards and a book on lighting. The last one may seem boring, but you can do a lot with a little if you know what you're doing.