Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lollerB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
I have a MacBook Pro Mid 2010 (MacBookPro 6,2) with a SATA 3 Interface and I would like to replace my HDD with a SSD.

Googling a bit I found these SSDs as possible candidates for my MacBook Pro:

- V4 by Crucial with SATA 2 Interface (3Gb/s), Model CT256V4SSD2
- Samsung 830 Series with SATA 3 Interface (3Gb/s), Model MZ-7PC256B/WW
- 240GB Mercury Electra 3G SSD by OWC

What do you think about?

The Samsung drive is only 7mm instead of the usual 9.5mm of the other ones. Do I need to use a spacer for it?

Furthermore, from Samsung site I see there are two versions available. The one with the laptop kit (MZ-7PC256N) and the one without it (MZ-7PC256B). Are these versions the same or not? Within Amazon site I see that the former has been published in 2011 while the latter in 2012.

Thank you in advance.

nitromac

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2012
US
The laptop/desktop/regular kits of the 830 are all the same drive, but they just have different accessories in them for installation. I installed my 830 in my 2012 MBP without using a spacer. It doesn't need one since the 4 torx screws keep it locked into the slot.

I don't know if the mid-2010 MBPs have SATA III, but if they do then definitely go with the 830. No point in going with the slower Crucial drive.

However, if you only have SATA II, consider the Crucial drive only if it's a good amount cheaper. Otherwise, you should still go for the Samsung for its known reliability and compatibility with MBPs.

lollerB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
The laptop/desktop/regular kits of the 830 are all the same drive, but they just have different accessories in them for installation. I installed my 830 in my 2012 MBP without using a spacer. It doesn't need one since the 4 torx screws keep it locked into the slot.

I don't know if the mid-2010 MBPs have SATA III, but if they do then definitely go with the 830. No point in going with the slower Crucial drive.

However, if you only have SATA II, consider the Crucial drive only if it's a good amount cheaper. Otherwise, you should still go for the Samsung for its known reliability and compatibility with MBPs.

nitromac,

Thanks for your reply.

Since the height of the Samsung 830 is shorter that the other ones, there could be a space between the SSD and the bottom cover. Do you have this space or not? Anyway, the SSD is fixed by the plastic bar (and screws) and cannot move. Do you confirm this?

My MacBook Pro has SATA II but I think Samsung is compatible.

Thanks for your support.

nitromac

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2012
US
nitromac,

Thanks for your reply.

Since the height of the Samsung 830 is shorter that the other ones, there could be a space between the SSD and the bottom cover. Do you have this space or not? Anyway, the SSD is fixed by the plastic bar (and screws) and cannot move. Do you confirm this?

My MacBook Pro has SATA II but I think Samsung is compatible.

Thanks for your support.

Yeah, there is a space. But it's not an issue at all (and might even help heat dissipation in some way). The drive itself does not and will not move at all once it's fixed in place.

tninety

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Banned!
Mid-2010 MBPs don't have SATA III. I would just go with the Crucial M4 because the extra write performance of the 830 isn't going to get used.

I would not go with the Crucial V4 because it's a "budget" class drive with very low random performance.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
I am also in the market for SSD. I read somewhere in MR that if you want to update Samsung's SSD, you need to use Window OS. That's a no no to me cause i don't have a Window machine or use bootcamp. You may need to take that in to consideration.

Anyone knows what's a reliable and ease to use SSD?

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I am also in the market for SSD. I read somewhere in MR that if you want to update Samsung's SSD, you need to use Window OS. That's a no no to me cause i don't have a Window machine or use bootcamp. You may need to take that in to consideration.

Anyone knows what's a reliable and ease to use SSD?

Most reliable is then Samsung 830.
As long as the drive works fine, why bother updating the firmware? I certainly haven't and am more then happy with the speeds I get from the drive. OSX TRIM can also be enabled on it fine. Like they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
On the other hand I do not believe there has been a firmware update for the 830 this year, and it runs rock solid.

To the OP, in regards to spacing issue. No spacer necessary. Once mounted in it does not move whatsoever. The extra mm or so on each side will just aid heat dissipation anyway.
Check my videos for an install guide and a speed test with the Samsung 830.

lollerB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Most reliable is then Samsung 830.
As long as the drive works fine, why bother updating the firmware? I certainly haven't and am more then happy with the speeds I get from the drive. OSX TRIM can also be enabled on it fine. Like they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
On the other hand I do not believe there has been a firmware update for the 830 this year, and it runs rock solid.

To the OP, in regards to spacing issue. No spacer necessary. Once mounted in it does not move whatsoever. The extra mm or so on each side will just aid heat dissipation anyway.
Check my videos for an install guide and a speed test with the Samsung 830.

Ifti,

Thanks for your reply.

Is the 830 SSD compatible with my Mac model? Do you have any experience on it?

Thanks.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Ifti,

Thanks for your reply.

Is the 830 SSD compatible with my Mac model? Do you have any experience on it?

Thanks.

Yes it should be fine. I actually use a 256GB at the moment, on which I have TRIM enabled and is running fine.
To be honest, I've had the drive for 3 weeks and I am currently selling it. The only reason for sale is im waiting delivery of the 512GB version of the same drive instead!! Can't recommend it enough.

lollerB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Yes it should be fine. I actually use a 256GB at the moment, on which I have TRIM enabled and is running fine.
To be honest, I've had the drive for 3 weeks and I am currently selling it. The only reason for sale is im waiting delivery of the 512GB version of the same drive instead!! Can't recommend it enough.

Thank you very much.

Do you know why the 830 notebook kit differs from the other version (the one without it) by model year?

From Amazon I can see that the notebook kit has been released in 2011 while the other version has been released in 2012.

Thank you for your support.

P.S. I've just finished watching your video about Samsung 830 SSD. Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Thank you very much.

Do you know why the 830 notebook kit differs from the other version (the one without it) by model year?

From Amazon I can see that the notebook kit has been released in 2011 while the other version has been released in 2012.

Thank you for your support.

P.S. I've just finished watching your video about Samsung 830 SSD. Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Not sure, it's the exact same drive but the notebook kit comes with an adapter, should you need it. Maybe the SSD came in kit form only to start with, and they released the 'basic' version later to provide buyers with more options etc?!

mjn298

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
Palisades, Washington, DC
I have a 256 gb 830 in a 2012 cMBP 15" and it's been fine

i guess if you need to update the firmware you'd need windows, but i installed it and it works perfectly fine without having used windows at all

i haven't enabled TRIM, though.

lollerB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
I have a 256 gb 830 in a 2012 cMBP 15" and it's been fine

i guess if you need to update the firmware you'd need windows, but i installed it and it works perfectly fine without having used windows at all

i haven't enabled TRIM, though.

Thanks. Did you buy the kit version?

Not sure, it's the exact same drive but the notebook kit comes with an adapter, should you need it. Maybe the SSD came in kit form only to start with, and they released the 'basic' version later to provide buyers with more options etc?!

Thanks. I agree with you but do you think that the kit version has the latest firmware version or not?

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I personally like the M4.
520mbps of read is pretty impressive.
And your MBP wont need the 830 extra speed since the 2010 MBP wont have SATAIII

leo.andres.21

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Centre of the Attention
I am also looking to purchase the Samsung 830 for my early 2011 MBP
Though I wonder how I would migrate to the new SSD from my 750GB HDD?
The drive is quite filled with content and I have literally no time machine backup anywhere, or any kind of backup for that matter. :p
So I figured I'd need the steps to migrate my OS X Mountain Lion onto the new drive, or if I do a clean install of the OS, how would I transfer old preferences in the HDD onto the SSD?
Much appreciated.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I am also looking to purchase the Samsung 830 for my early 2011 MBP
Though I wonder how I would migrate to the new SSD from my 750GB HDD?
The drive is quite filled with content and I have literally no time machine backup anywhere, or any kind of backup for that matter. :p
So I figured I'd need the steps to migrate my OS X Mountain Lion onto the new drive, or if I do a clean install of the OS, how would I transfer old preferences in the HDD onto the SSD?
Much appreciated.

Id suggest you do clean install.
Plug the SSD in a USB and hold option while booting up.
Then o through the clean install there.
Obviously all your data wont go into the SSD so you would need a external HDD or optibay.

mrjef31

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
I just threw a SAMSUNG SSD and 8 GB of RAM in my MBP......ZING!!!!!!
boots up in 16 seconds......love it....great value

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.